Bad odor after fermenting first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm new to this (first try) and I just got done with the fermentation part of the process the other day. The type of beer is described as a "Northwestern Golden Ale" by the kit it came with. Anyways, I went to bottle it the other day and opened up the fermenter. I siphoned out a litte bit in to a glass just to give it a little taste and it smelled awful (like bad apple cider) and tasted even worse (like vinegar). After a little research I came to an uneducated conclusion that it was a bacterial contamination. Is this caused by a sanitation problem or is it something else that causes this? Thanks.

Its a sanitation problem. After you turn off the heat from boiling your wort everything that touches your beer must be sanitized. Also dust carries bacteria so you want to keep your beer covered as much as possible and avoid exposing it in areas where there is alot of wind or draughts. I recommend you look at the wiki section on sanitation before trying your next brew. Don't give up - all of us have had at least one batch go bad.

GT

Austin_LSU said:
Hey all.

I'm new to this (first try) and I just got done with the fermentation part of the process the other day. The type of beer is described as a "Northwestern Golden Ale" by the kit it came with. Anyways, I went to bottle it the other day and opened up the fermenter. I siphoned out a litte bit in to a glass just to give it a little taste and it smelled awful (like bad apple cider) and tasted even worse (like vinegar). After a little research I came to an uneducated conclusion that it was a bacterial contamination. Is this caused by a sanitation problem or is it something else that causes this? Thanks.

How long has it been in the primary?

bethlehembrewer said:
Yeah I agree on the sanitation problem. What did you use to clean it and how did you use them?

I used an Idophor sanitizer (B-T-D or something like that). I made a warm solution of it and let it soak for 10 minutes or so and then let it air dry.

How long has it been in the primary?

15 days.

It's possible that when your utensils air-dryed, bacteria got on them. In my "How to Brew" book, the author suggests covering all of your sanitized stuff with saran wrap after it's been sanitized. Personally, I just leave everything soaking in my bottling bucket in a sanitizer solution(star san) and pull it out right before I need to use it.

Laurel said:
It's possible that when your utensils air-dryed, bacteria got on them. In my "How to Brew" book, the author suggests covering all of your sanitized stuff with saran wrap after it's been sanitized. Personally, I just leave everything soaking in my bottling bucket in a sanitizer solution(star san) and pull it out right before I need to use it.
same here. i took some advice from my tattoo artist and sanitize the counter tops and then cover the work area in paper towels, in case i need to put something down. you can never be too sanitary! also i had two contaminated batches in a row, and i found a couple of scratches in my plastic primary, which can be hard to sanitize, so check for that too.

SomedumbJerk said:
same here. i took some advice from my tattoo artist and sanitize the counter tops and then cover the work area in paper towels, in case i need to put something down. you can never be too sanitary! also i had two contaminated batches in a row, and i found a couple of scratches in my plastic primary, which can be hard to sanitize, so check for that too.

Good idea on the paper towels. I've seen tattoo artists do that and never thought to do it with beer!

Scratches are a good reason to only use glass carboys except for bottling.

I always sanitize everything around me when I brew. I go around the sink, the countertops, the kitchen table. I sanitize measuring cups and spoons just in case I need them. It doesn't take much effort, I just throw stuff in the sanitizer, and spread sanitizer around with paper towels. Then cover with paper towels a section of the table to put things down. I also keep Purell nearby so I can do my hands before I handle things. The beer bottle you're drinking from is full of bacteria :)

Back