bad efficiency = good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
This might be a silly question but right now I have access to incredibly cheap grain and I'm wondering if I should be so concerned about efficiency.

The thought is this: If I only get 65% eff or so perhaps I am only getting the best part of the grain and that by taking additional measures to get up around 75%-80% maybe I am doing the equivalent of nibbling away at the core of the apple. If you've got another apple and its cheap then grab that one instead.

Perhaps I am completely misguided on this. Maybe sugar extracted from grains is sugar extracted from grains and it doesn't matter when it comes out. idk. Does anyone have any ideas on this? If anyone here has had batches that got only 65% or so and ended up being smaller volume as a result, how did they taste when finished?

P.S. I am not trying to shortcut good brewing technique nor am I trying to be wasteful. I'm just curious. Thanks.

i would also taste some of the cheaper grain- see if you like the flavor.... i wouldn't get too caught up on efficiency

The key to efficiency is being consistent...Whether it`s 65% or 80% you
want to be able to duplicate your recipes time after time. (what beerloin said)
don`t be to concerned about the number just dial your system in,go with it
and you will consistently make good beer.

Cheers

good advice that I will definitely follow.

So just for curiosity's sake, does anyone think the sugar you extract from the grains around the 60% range is any different than the sugar all the way up to 80%+ or is sugar, just sugar?

I should have probably read that link about phenol extraction before posting that question. I'll get on that.

Back