Bad Drivers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1990 I went with a group to Athens Greece. We were on the balcony of our hotel one night, overlooking a 1-lane alley, and saw 2 cars play chicken. Neither would back up for the other so they just smashed head-on into each other. I wish I understood more Greek but the shouting that followed was pretty entertaining anyway.

As we were touring the city, we saw a traffic cop watching a round-about. Someone commented to him that he must see some pretty crazy drivers, to which he replied, "Yes. Graveyards are full. You have good insurance, yes?" LOL!

so you are the ****** policing the left lane, hiding under the umbrella of "actively passing" [emoji2]

Lol, not me. Here in CA where the speed limit is 70, I'm typically setting the cruise right at 79-80. And I stay out of the left lane unless I am truly passing someone. I.e. if there's a long line of cars in the left lane and a big gap between the vehicle I pass on the right and the vehicle in front of it, I will get out of the left lane until I approach the back of the vehicle in the right lane.

Obviously there are times when this doesn't happen. If it's a bunch of semis in the right lane traveling 55 and there's a line of cars doing 80, my closing speed is 25 mph on them, and I won't get over to the right unless the gap is large enough to warrant it. But I get over as soon as there's a decent size gap.

Essentially my calculation is "will the person behind me actually have adequate time to pass me before I run into the back of that vehicle?" If the answer is yes, I happily move over. I don't want the responsibility, nor do I have the emotional desire, to police the left lane.

The problem is this Ahole is too stupid- or chickensheit - to move into the right lane if he/she will be between two semis. So on a two lane like I5 in the central valley you’re gonna be behind the idiot for 15 minutes while he/she will be passing 3 or 4 or 10 semis. But at a delta of like 2mph.

Plenty of room for a single car to fit in one of those spaces between two semis and let others pass.

But no. They’re ACTIVELY passing. For 20 miles.

I do agree with you. If the delta is 2 mph, you should get over to the right lane in relatively small gaps between vehicles on the right. That is not actively passing unless the semis are basically tailgating one another.

But the whole point about "actively" passing is to highlight the fact that if a vehicle is approaching the back of another vehicle in the right lane, that vehicle is not required to speed up to execute the pass. I don't like when I have to slow down to 55 behind a semi making a pass in the left lane, either. But as long as that semi is passing whatever vehicle is sitting in the right lane, they have every right to pass at whatever speed they like.

Yeah, sure. As long as they’re not the Ahole truckers who violently swerve in front of you at the last minute when you’re coming in hot at 80. We should take those ones out, beat them silly for almost killing folks, and turn them out into lot lizards.

What i was speaking to is the non trucker driver who passes the semis at delta 2. And wont get over to let others pass until they’re past all the semis- whether thats 2 or 10. WTF. I5 is a nightmare with those clowns.

Heres one, how about the person who lolly gags their way up the exit ramp while cutting over. Its bad enough they are looking to cut over, but crawling down the exit lane holding everyone up pisses me off!

Drivers who won’t turn right on a red light even though it’s clear lanes and legal

Back