Bad CO2 Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I also use metric like there's no tomorrow, so take that you 'merican... :cool::cool::p:p

Regs can of course change from country to country (in your case even from State to State) and be more or less stringent accordingly. Residual valves might or might not be mandatory, traceability might or might not be mandatory, filling stations might or might not have to be designed and operated so that no contamination can be dragged into the bottle during filling (which might or might not require evacuating all lines with a vacuum pump prior to commencing filling) and so on and so forth.

One principle is more or less universal though. If somebody dies (or at least gets seriously ill), somebody else might have a problem... :(
I live in the Great State of California... so yeah- if it can be regulated, it is. Our state is working on making Soda illegal, so soon this C02 gas is going to explode in prices.

Out of the five years I spent as a CO2 delivery driver/bottle repair/system trouble shooter and repair/draft system installer I have never had a "bad" tank of CO2. Don't know what happened to your awesome beer with out being there to check it out but, it wasn't the CO2.

Out of the five years I spent as a CO2 delivery driver/bottle repair/system trouble shooter and repair/draft system installer I have never had a "bad" tank of CO2. Don't know what happened to your awesome beer with out being there to check it out but, it wasn't the CO2.
Sounds annecedotal to me unless you've worked at my gas supplier. When a bottle goes empty and you swap it out and the beer changes I think it's more than a coincidence. In 13 years it's only happened twice so I'm not 100% sure. I also don't like getting rusty bottles. Both times the ones I've gotten have been rusty and have left rust rings on a wooden table, on marble and lineolium. That in itself is enough for me to not want them.

By the way... I humped a lot with the MA-Duece. Always liked when we were allowed to let it rock and roll. The receiver was stamped 1944 so she was old but reliable.

Last edited:
Sounds annecedotal to me unless you've worked at my gas supplier. When a bottle goes empty and you swap it out and the beer changes I think it's more than a coincidence. In 13 years it's only happened twice so I'm not 100% sure. I also don't like getting rusty bottles. Both times the ones I've gotten have been rusty and have left rust rings on a wooden table, on marble and lineolium. That in itself is enough for me to not want them.

That's the outside of the tank. It's a whole 'nuther world on the inside of the tank.

Just what we need, a new homebrew myth, "steel gas contamination".[/Q
For what it's worth and may have nothing to do with "contamination", but I had an old steel bottle that appeared to be in decent condition except for the expired hydro stamp and the place where I exchange my bottles told me they had no interest in, and would not be willing to exchange a steel bottle. I did not ask why nor argue and went on my way.

I am so upset at this point. 10 gallons of beer that probably going to get dumped.

i i wish us homebrewers could start a city.....that way i could properly dispose of all the "dumpers"...i feel they all should be properly filtered through my liver before 'dumping', proper waste disposal and all....lol

edit: to me it's like people marrying a super model, then divorcing her if she gains a few pounds...

By the way... I humped a lot with the MA-Duece. Always liked when we were allowed to let it rock and roll. The receiver was stamped 1944 so she was old but reliable.
Off topic.... @50calshooter.... This is what I was thinking.
Ma_Deuce_Featured.jpeg
SmallArms_M2A1-firing-copy.jpeg

I prefer electric motors attached to my weaponry

Attachments

• 0C48CCDE-E840-434B-A7F0-F001209C23F3.jpeg
    0C48CCDE-E840-434B-A7F0-F001209C23F3.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 27
Well, mine isn't quite like that. It's a bolt action target rifle. Made by a gunsmith who migrated over from Germany as a child and built a successful business building 50 cal rifles. Then he died in a car crash.

Back