Bad beer cause of IKE!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCKSHOT

Reaction score
Well I have no power at home and I'm in another state. I had a blonde ale brewin in a freezer with a temp controller in my garage and now that there is no power I'm almost difinatly going to have to chunk it.
Today would be the time to rack into a carboy but now I have to tell the wife to pour it out when she gets home.:(

Time to make an Oatmeal Stout when power comes back and
I can make it home.:rockin:

don't just chuck it off GP... do you have an auto siphon? If so i feel quite certain you could convince SWMBO to rack it for you. The Auto Siphon makes it SO much easier. Whats the temp there in TX right now? It could be easy as having her remove any electronics you may ahve in the freezer and put some water in it if she can't lift it out. If she can lift it then she could always do the wet t-shirt method and put it in the coolest place she can find. Try anything but don't just chuck it right away...

Sounds like fermentation is well over, so that shouldn't be creating much heat. The freezer should maintain temp for at least a little while, and even if it gets a bit warm now, it's probably not the end of the world or anything.

That said, if your wife can throw a bag of ice in the fridge with it, that might ease your mind.

If it stays in the primary a few days longer it won't hurt it.

It's not going to hurt it much if at all since it's ready to rack (ferm must be just about done) and you have to wait a reeeeeeally long time before late racking gets to be a problem - too early, sure, too late, no.

Don't dump it til you try it!

No I didnt dump it yet. I'm still stuck on the boat tryin to chase down bouys and boats floatin down the Galveston Shiping Channel. Dont know when I'll make it home but I'll give her a taste when I get home. Whats the max time I can go before its proably bad. I would assume if it tastes fine I'll rack it and leave in secondary for 4 or 5 days. Any thoughts???

What in blazes are you talking about, man, when you say this...?
Whats the max time I can go before its proably bad. I would assume if it tastes fine I'll rack it and leave in secondary for 4 or 5 days.
What day did you brew it on? Because you can leave it in primary for 2 or 3 WEEKS with no problems whatsoever! Let's say hypothetically you brewed it last Wednesday the 10th. Fermentation was probably complete - or at least mostly complete - by the time power went out on Saturday. Even then, it's an insulated freezer, it's going to keep that temp for at least another 24 hours, probably more. And once the fermentation is complete, sure temperature shocks aren't the greatest thing in the world, but they're not gonna turn it into a banana bomb or anything. It's gonna be fine. Trust me.

Relax, don't worry, hang in there on that boat, and just see how it looks/smells/tastes when ya get back home. Don't dump it though. Even if it's questionable, just ride it through, and see how it tastes after a month or two in the bottle.

No biggie, you just had an unintentional diacetyl rest. definitly taste before chunk, i've had beers that I thought had gone bad for sure, but had later bottled them to find they were some of my best.

Beer was bad and I had to pour 2 CASES OF BEER ON THE GROUND BEHIND MY HOUSE.:(:confused:

It was the worst tasting beer I've ever tasted or made. On top of witch it was not done fermenting so 3 days after I bottled it I had beer bottles spraying everywhere when I opened them. Sometimes I could barely get the top off all the way and it would spray, and it went everywhere in the house before I took it outside.

Got some liquid yeast for my Oatmeal Stout that is goin in the pot tomorrow. I have faith that it will turn out excellent. I will also be helpin my neighbor brew tomorrow seen as how he is buyin a kit.
I'll let yall know how it turns out.:tank:

Does the wet-T-shirt-method involve her squeezing the water from between her boobs? And if so do you have a web-cam and a battery powered laptop? :D

I too expierenced IKE here in the NW side of Houston and didn't have power for nine days. My first extract brew in 12 years (when I was 19 was my last homebrew) did OK in the corny keg. It tasted fine and is all gone by now. I will have my all grain equipment ready to go by the middle of next week. I have read on HBT about one member botteling a batch of homebrew that was forgotten about for I think three months and still turned out great. Man I know you had alot of more damage down in Dickinson than we did here in Houston. I just wounder if the piers are gone at the Spillway and 18th street piers in Baycliff near your area. If I'm not mistaken the 18th street pier is in Discknson? I saw footage on the news befor the power went out here and the storm surge looked bad while the news ancors interviewed the residents who stayed in Baycliff. I hope all is well for you and your family. Its gonna take a while befor yall get back to everyday life.

Back