Bad batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I just wanted to some opinions.

I but a batch on about 3 weeks ago, due to time restriction I did not do a yeast starter. I checked on it a couple days later and it looked pretty dead, couple days after that same.. I forgot about for awhile, now it's 3 weeks.. I took it out of my Fer. Cabinet looked it over and it looks the same no big crusty line where the krausen would have risen. I plan on cleaning a keg and popping the top tonight to see what it looks/smells like.

So if the yeast in fact did not activate is it to late to repictch?

What sort of smell should I be smelling for to determine if it's infected?

If it looks ok I'm gonna put it in the keg and see what happens, I have enough kegs that I'm really not loosing anything.

Thanks

Bill

Check back with the results, please
What yeast was pitched?

good luck:mug:

Well.. it came in around 1.016 I'm still kinda amazed. I swear I saw notta in the air lock.. the air lock even looked loke it had condensation building up due to lack of movement.. it's alittle higher then I'd like but it's moved from 1.052 so something happened..

I tried it and it tased ok.. good thing I left it in the bucket for an extra 1.5 weeks.. I guess time will tell..

Thanks Hugh Jass.. I should have thought of that but I didn't. I'm really slacking off in my brewing and attention to detail just isn't there right now. Wife's ready to pop out out 1st kid and this is the last thing on my mind..

Well.. it came in around 1.016 I'm still kinda amazed. I swear I saw notta in the air lock.. the air lock even looked loke it had condensation building up due to lack of movement.. it's alittle higher then I'd like but it's moved from 1.052 so something happened..

I tried it and it tased ok.. good thing I left it in the bucket for an extra 1.5 weeks.. I guess time will tell..

Thanks Hugh Jass.. I should have thought of that but I didn't. I'm really slacking off in my brewing and attention to detail just isn't there right now. Wife's ready to pop out out 1st kid and this is the last thing on my mind..

You're gonna need that five gallons what with a little one on the way!! Congrats on the beer and the baby.:mug:

You're gonna need that five gallons what with a little one on the way!! Congrats on the beer and the baby.:mug:

Thanks.. luckily I kegged a nice batch of Cran-Aphel at the same :rockin:

not that I'll get to drink any of it for awhile!;)

Glad it worked out.
Congratulations and good luck with your first child.:mug:

Back