bad Attenuation on dark stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes

Reaction score
Hey just took a Fg reading on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dark-chocolate-stout-136707/ and i did the recipe but did 5 gallon with the same grain bill. went from 6 gallons preboil to 5 gallon my og was .0172 i used safbrew s-33 yeast. i add 8 oz of cocoa powder and 1lb of lactose to it 10mins before flame out. My fg is 1.036 which mean about 50% Attenuation i believe. should i pitch more yeast or bottle it i don't know if the lactose and cocoa add to the fg but i feel it is still to high.

Also i mashed for 1 hour stirke at 167f and hit 155.7f for in my cooler tun and opened it at 60 mins the temp was 154.5f. I did a batch sparge for 60 mins at 170f in tun hit 166f and 162.5 out at the end of the hour. Then sparged 2 more gallons extra to hit 6 gallon for my preboil wort. my fermenting temp was 64-66 the entire 3 weeks it has been sitting

Also i mashed for 1 hour stirke at 167f and hit 155.7f for in my cooler tun and opened it at 60 mins the temp was 154.5f. I did a batch sparge for 60 mins at 170f in tun hit 166f and 162.5 out at the end of the hour. Then sparged 2 more gallons extra to hit 6 gallon for my preboil wort. my fermenting temp was 64-66 the entire 3 weeks it has been sitting

Gently rouse the yeast with a sanitized racking cane or something and bring the temp up to 70 and give it some more time. You could also boil a very small amount of water and add some table sugar (like .25lbs) and add that in to wake the yeast up. 1036 is pretty high even with mash temps and lactose. If you bottle now and wake the yeast up in the bottle and there is fermentable sugar left, you will surely get an over carbed beer or bombs.

Thanks for the advice, i moved it to a warmer part of the basement and will wait a bit to check it out. Also i like the adding sugar to get them going thank you.

Thanks for the advice, i moved it to a warmer part of the basement and will wait a bit to check it out. Also i like the adding sugar to get them going thank you.

Simple sugars also make the wort more fermentable and aid in a dryer finish. The only time I have used lactose I used equal amounts of simple sugar to help keep the fg down and overall sweetness where I wanted it. Worked perfectly.

Well I add .25lb table sugar dissolved in water an pitched another dry patch of heat to kick it off and it was bubbling in 5 hr so I think it should get the rest of the sugars out.

Back