Bad Astringent After Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed this recipe about 5 weeks ago. I've been tasting it over the past 2 weeks and while the flavors are good I'm getting a very bad astringent (?) after taste. It comes about 1 or 2 seconds after the beer is swallowed. Aroma is good and the initial taste is good. Haven’t had a water PH issue in any beers (NYC water). Everything was cleaned and sanitized as usual. Fermentation went well.

I don't have anyone to bounce this off of but you guys and the books I have aren't helping. The recipe below shows the exact times and measures from the brew. Nothing deviated from what’s written. What went wrong. the beer should be drinkable by now. The beer is kegged and stored at 38d for 2 weeks

Thanks

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Grains & Extracts
7.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 93.3 %
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 6.7 % (30 minute Steep at 150d)

Hops
2.00 oz Centennial (60 min)
1.00 oz. Kent Golding (15 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Additions
0.33 lb Honey (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Yeast
American Ale Yeast (Wyeast Lads # 1056)

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % (edited from 8%)

A couple things. First your ABV is 6.2% not 8%. See this web site for an ABV calculator http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

Why I bring that up is even though it's not 8%, 6.2% with an OG of 1.062 is a bit stronger than normal ale. Add on the fact your hop schedule, the Recipator web site yields 53 IBUs. Third, you said you brewed 5 weeks ago. So 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and another 2 in the keg. I think all you have is green beer, it will get better in time.

Since it's stronger than an average ale and the hopping schedule is more aggressive than an average ale, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it takes a total of a month in the keg until its mellowed out, and maybe even 2 months in the keg until it reaches its peak. Probably not the news you wanted, but I think you'll just have to be patient. Either drink some other homebrew or pick up a couple 12 packs of a good micro.

uwmgdman said:
A couple things. First your ABV is 6.2% not 8%. See this

Yes 6.1% is what I have written down. 8% was a typo, sorry.

I don't mind waiting, just wasn't sure if there was a problem with the brew or ingredients. Like I said I really have know one to bounce this stuff off of and the books aren't to clear on this.

I'll give it another taste in May. I'll drink the Hod Goblin for now, Thanks

Latest posts

Back