Backyard Brewing - Babysit or ok to leave unattended?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vallonswayla

Reaction score
So I plan on using a propane burner in my backyard to do 5 gal batches. Do I have to stand around while the burning heats water, or while it's boiling wort? Is it ok to check on every 10-15 minutes? I also have a curious dog, so am thinking about a way to kind of fence off the burner and mash tun from the dog running into and knocking things over. What do you backyard brewers with dogs do?

ever had a boil over, and spent time cleaning that preventable mess up?

if not, I'm sure you're not fully aware of how little effort it would have been to pull some heat at the first signs of looming disaster vs how much effort went into cleanup. and it should go without saying that unattended fire + curious dogs is a formula for a bigger disaster than cleaning up after a boil over

you know the old saying - "if you have to ask opinions on whether something is right/wrong ..."

i def realize these are pretty stupid questions. i'm just trying to avoid having to sit around watching a burner for half the day.

I keep my dogs inside or in a fenced section of the yard so they don't get close to the burner. As for your question about watching the burner the whole time. I don't stand right there every second but I am never far away. I never step away for more than a minute or so. I will heat the strike water while milling grains but I am never more than a few steps away. I can see the burner from my basement deep sink so I can do some clean up while the wort boils. I would be way more cautious if there were any small children around.

Here's the deal, do NOT leave a burner full of hot or boiling wort with a dog around. I mean, that's just common sense. So much can go wrong and cause the dog serious or fatal harm. So, my advice is either be present the whole time or do not leave the dog outside with an unattended burner/kettle. Removing the dog from the equation, once you are past hot break and have added the hops there's very little chance of a boil over. That's mainly a risk when coming to a boil, during hotbreak formation, and hop additions. I've stepped away to use the bathroom and such but personally I prefer to not leave the boil unattended for more than a brief moment. Other things that can happen is the wind can blow out your flame - happens all the time in windy'ish weather (which for me was always spring/fall primarily but can happen at any time). Things can also fall into the beer such as tree leaves or anything that can go airborne like a plastic bag.

So, my advice is no... don't leave it unattended for 10-15 minutes or more straight and definitely don't ever leave the dog alone with it.

Rev.

Fermcap and walk away. I've boiled 13 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle. Never once have I had an issue.

That being said, don't leave your dog unattended by a flame and a boiling kettle...

thanks all for the feedback. esp appreciate the concern for the dog. i would never leave a burner going with the dog roaming free. just wondered how other people fenced the dog off. i think i'm going to end up in the front yard just outside of my garage. keeps dog in the back. then i just have to keep an eye out for lookie lous.

I keep an eye on it but don't really stand around. As wort comes to a boil I'll be right there. Otherwise I go inside and prepare the next step.

Can’t you just put the dog inside when you aren’t by it? I boiled a barley wine for 3 hours last week, got it to a boil and walked away for two hours until I had to start adding hops. It’s no different than a gas grill. Do you sand over your gas grill non-stop? I brew in the garage but outside would be even less risky except for stuff flying into your kettle.

This is what moved me to brewing in doors. I love brewing outside but with 2 little kids and a wife with a forever long honey do list I just said screw it and moved inside.
There are web cams you can get for pretty cheap these days if you're close enough to your house to get a wifi signal. You can watch it on your phone or other device while doing whatever else you need to do-- Just an idea!

I kind of follow the brew at model. I’m close by for the boil but doing yard work the rest of the time with occasional check ins. I just don’t have time to sit there the entire time. I do keep track of the time though.

Back