Backsweeting berry mead help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertdraven

Reaction score
Hi guys, I made a 5 gallon batch of mixed berry mead. I racked it its cleared up beautiful, great aroma, nice little after taste. One problem......is tasted a bit bland. I did back sweet it with wine cond. And noticed a might sweeter taste, besides adding more wine cond. Is there anything else I can do with sweetening it or do something when I bottle it that might help? I know its. A lot of questions I'm new to this forum. Any advice would be appreciative .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Not sure what wine cond(itioner?) is, but you can add camdem tabs and potassium sulfate to prevent any further fermentation, and add a honey/water mixture into your mead until it reaches your desired sweetness.

Wine conditioner is a premade mixture of sorbate and nonfermenable sugars in a liquid medium.

If the mead is bland and you want to perk it up beyond sweetening it. You could try many things like adding a little acid blend, wine tannin, or age the mead on some Oak chips. What are you looking for?

If you are planning to serve it still, then juice concentrates work too for sweetness. One of my favorites is Old Orchard Berry Blend 100% juice

Back