Backsweetening a dry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
Long story short, buddy and I brewed 20 gallons of American Stout that finished way low (low mash temp and high attenuation).

What can I add to back sweeten this beer? Right now 3/4's of it is all carbed up...ready to go.

My first thought was to add lactose, boiled and cooled, slightly stirred...anyone that's done that and care to share your experience, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Shaggyt, I've brewed a double chocolate stout that I added 5 oz. of unsweetened chocolate to and am looking for the same (or similar) answer. Back to the search. If I find something useful I'll report back. Pete

How come it would finish so low? Especially if you are using moderately high lovibond grains in stouts (assuming). Mash at a low temperature? Sugar or rice additions???

How come it would finish so low? Especially if you are using moderately high lovibond grains in stouts (assuming). Mash at a low temperature? Sugar or rice additions???

Low mash temp per recipe (Shakespeare stout clone) and no sugars...most of my beers finish low, just my system really...I almost mashed higher than recipe stated as a last minute change, but stuck with recipe suggestions in the end.

Also, I pitched plenty of WLP001 which for me, usually attenuates extremely well (80+%), so that's what I attribute the low FG to...anything in the 152F or lower mash temp puts me below 1.010 FG easy.

I'm back. I went to HBT Wiki and it suggested using 1 lb./5 gals. I'll try that tonight when I get home, let it settle and give it a taste (adding the lactose to a qt. of boiled water). If it needs to be sweeter, I'll try some splenda. I had no idea how bitter unsweetened chocolate was before I tasted it.

Back