Backsweeteing with lactose - how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
I'm bottling a Belgian-ish beer this weekend that kind of over-attenuated. The samples taste pretty harsh and I'd like to backsweeten it a little bit before I bottle. What's the process for this? I'm thinking mix a pound of lactose in just-boiled water, add it to the beer in the bottling bucket maybe 1/4 at a time, mix and taste. Repeat until happy. Is that about right? Am I even close?

OG 1.074 FG (actual) 1.007 IBU 40

5lbs Pilsner malt
8oz Carawheat (46SRM)
(mash above at 150F 75min)
3lbs Pilsen light DME
2lbs Sucrose
1oz Amarillo 10.9 60min
1oz Amarillo 10.9 5min
zest of 2 sour/bitter oranges 5min
zest of 2 sour/bitter oranges "dryhop" 7 days
Wyeast 1214 Belgian ale

I'm thinking mix a pound of lactose in just-boiled water, add it to the beer in the bottling bucket maybe 1/4 at a time, mix and taste. Repeat until happy. Is that about right? Am I even close?

I used 8 oz lactose to backsweeten 5 gal of pumpkin ale. I boiled 2 cups of water, added my priming sugar and 8 oz lactose, boiled 10 min, cooled, then added that to the bottling bucket. You could certainly add it in increments as you've suggested but I don't think you are going to need 1 lb unless you enjoy very sweet ales.

Back