Backfeed 14-50P/GCFI for generator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok... not exactly an electric brewing question. But with a massive Irma-cane about to rip my community a new one, I thought I could take some license. We expect to be without power for the next few weeks, but I have a 5500W generator...

CODE VIOLATION UNDERSTOOD - no need to hash that.

I installed a 50A 14-50P in my garage which is connected to a dedicated 50A GFCI breaker in my panel. Works great for brewing of course. My question: can I (via homemade plug) power my panel though that outlet? Obviously the main breaker needs be off, as does basically every breaker other than those powering lights, etc. (certainly no high power stuff like A/C's etc. I assume the GFCI doesn't care due to A/C so long as no current passes through the ground line, which it shouldn't.

This is primarily an academic question - I am not saying I will do it, just curious *if* it could be done and without major safety concerns.

Electrical gurus: discuss!

and here i thought this thread would be about hooking up a generator to brew in a hurricane...:)

you recognize the code violations but practically, nothing wrong with what you are doing. use the gen to run the fridge, some lights and other critical loads. have plenty of gas on hand to run the generator. and do those linemen a favor and disconnect the thing when power is ready to be restored. and stay safe!

Be mindful of carbon monoxide hazards when running a genset close to a dwelling.
Running it in a garage, even with the door open presents some real risks. If you can, extent the exhaust pipe outside.

Electrically you probably have everything you need in place.

Valid points so far. Generator would always be outside for CO. The noise alone would make it impossible to have it even near the door.

Correct on cable Bobby... generator side (plug) would go last.

I guess my biggest question is for the GFI breaker - I have heard they will burn up trying to do this?

Never mind... not going to do this in any event. Besides it being a bad idea for lots of reasons, research indicates backfeeding GFCI's will cause them damage. And that breaker is way to expensive to risk. Stupid question - carry on!

If you can get it you could get a generator hookup box (which eliminates the need for a double male plug) and run it into a standard 30A breaker. Being without power for a long time can be harsh. Other option is heavy duty extension cords run right from the generator to the appliances.

Big issue will be keeping the generator fed.

You can backfeed through your clothes dryer outlet if logistics work out.

Is your gfci breaker in your house panel or a separate panel fed from another breaker in your house panel?
In either case there are safe work-arounds that enable using your garage circuit to connect the gen set to your home wiring.
A few lights and frig full of edible food are worth having during an extended power outage.

Another consideration. Put the generator up high enough where it won't be standing in water while running. You don't want to have to touch it if you, or it, are wet.

I'd also mention: Get a good cable lock or hardened chain for your generator. No matter how nice your neighbors are, when the power's off for a long time someone will try to jack your generator. A long cable type that can be looped around your generator's frame, then run under your garage door and around something immobile with the lock being *inside* will go far to stop a quick theft.

Never mind... not going to do this in any event. Besides it being a bad idea for lots of reasons, research indicates backfeeding GFCI's will cause them damage. And that breaker is way to expensive to risk. Stupid question - carry on!

Did any of the research say why/how backfeeding damages GFCI's? On AC circuits current flow on each wire reverses 120 times per second, so how does the GFCI even know it is being backfed? Is there something about the waveform coming out of the generator that is harmful to the GFCI?

Brew on :mug:

I backfeed through my dryer receptacle. I close the main on the panel and hook up my pigtail the guys made me at the power plant. You just have to remember to shut off the generator before you open the main when the power is restored.

Why not hard wire your generator into your disconnect for your AC condenser? Just make sure your main disconnect is off and you pull the disconnect to the AC condenser.

My 6000W generator can run my entire house provided that the AC and air compressor are off (I have all gas appliances).

I backfeed through my dryer receptacle. I close the main on the panel and hook up my pigtail the guys made me at the power plant. You just have to remember to shut off the generator before you open the main when the power is restored.
I just shut off the house breaker before I ever connect a generator for this reason. But don't turn on the house breaker with the green still connected 😀

They also make a manual interlock device that screws to the front of the panel preventing both the main breaker and backfeed breaker from being in the on position at the same time. Too late for that now but in the future.

Back