Back up into my regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggraid101

Reaction score
I had a bit of a disaster: I hooked up a partially full keg that had been sitting around for a couple months onto my CO2 line because I wanted to taste the contents of the keg. Something must have been fermenting in there, because as soon as I attached the line, something was coming through the line into the regulator. The line wasn't clear, I could see a little brown haze in it, although it's not really liquid. I took it off as soon as I figured out what was happening, but I think I might have gotten some nasty stuff into my regulators. Any recommendations about what I should do now? My two choices I figure are: do nothing or try to clean the regulator out somehow.

What should I clean the regulator with? Star san? do I just soak it in a bucket of the stuff? What is a check valve? is that like a backflow preventer?

Wash it in some soapy water, and have a way to dry all the parts, ( low press. compressed air works great!)

And yes, a check valve is "back flow preventer"

Back