Back Sweetening Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonratut

Reaction score
Hello fellow mead makers!! I was wondering if you warm the honey then pour it directly into the mead or is there a different method to add the honey for back sweetening?

If I am back sweetening I might be dissolving the warmed (not hot) honey in a little water to make the dispersal easier and I normally add anything I am using to back sweeten directly into the bottling bucket - or at the very least a carboy that I just have or am about to rack into. No need to stir up any lees when back sweetening.

Hello fellow mead makers!! I was wondering if you warm the honey then pour it directly into the mead or is there a different method to add the honey for back sweetening?

I generally pour some of the mead into one of my mixing bowls, run the warmed honey into that while stirring with a whisk, and then mix that back into the fermenter, again stirring with the whisk. I don't back sweeten until I've stabilized and clarified with Sparkloid, and given it several weeks to all drop out.

I use Fastferment conical fermenters, so the lees drop into the jar at the bottom for removal. No risk of stirring them up that way.

Question. You know how during the racking process you lose some volume. Do you have to fill the carboy's empty space or leave it as is?

Air is the number one enemy of any mead or wine. At best air will oxidize the contents and make it taste - if you are lucky - more like a sherry. At worst, wine in the presence of air AND aceto bacteria will transform your mead into vinegar. The best approach is to always fill a carboy (a narrow necked container) right up to the narrow mouth. This means that the surface area exposed to air is small. Small is good.

Back