Back-sweetening and kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrabe

Reaction score
I have been using splenda to back sweeten my ciders up to this point. I dont mind it but I have had a few people say it has that artificial sweetner after taste. I recently built a kegerator and want to know can I pasteurize and then use regular sugar to back sweeten since the kegerator will add the carbonation? If there any harm in pasteurizing before kegging? And should I add the sugar while it is still warm to let it better dissolve?

Have you considered using concentrated apple juice or honey as a sweetener?
It may add better flavor.

I've only done 2 patches of cider and only back sweetened one of them. If you know the cider will always be kept cold then you may get away with not needing to pasteurize (for those who don't like the thought of adding potassium sorbate to your cider).

The one I back sweetened I added frozen apple juice concentrate (as mentioned above). I also pasteurized with potassium sorbate to be on the safe side because it was for a wedding and I didn't know where it'd be stored. It turned out great and was easy to do. Careful though, if you balance it well the alcohol will be hidden (those pouring pints of my 9% cider at a buddy's wedding got an interesting surprise).

I've only done 2 patches of cider and only back sweetened one of them. If you know the cider will always be kept cold then you may get away with not needing to pasteurize (for those who don't like the thought of adding potassium sorbate to your cider).

The one I back sweetened I added frozen apple juice concentrate (as mentioned above). I also pasteurized with potassium sorbate to be on the safe side because it was for a wedding and I didn't know where it'd be stored. It turned out great and was easy to do. Careful though, if you balance it well the alcohol will be hidden (those pouring pints of my 9% cider at a buddy's wedding got an interesting surprise).

LOL. Last batch of mixed berry cider I made was named "Frat Party Fruit Punch". About 8,25% ABV and you'd never know it whilst drinking the stuff.

I've just used potassium sorbate (no temp pasteurization) on every batch of cider after a good 35*F cold crash (to drop as much yeast out of suspension as possible) and transfer to the keg. It has no detectable effect of flavor and it's kept the yeast from multiplying and feasting on the frozen juice concentrate and other sugary goodies I use to backsweeten. Heck, it's a commonly-used food preservative. We each likely end up consuming a bit of it every day.

I like Splenda in my iced tea. I'll not use it in a cider.

I use potassium sorbate and cambden to kill the yeasties and back sweeten with concentrate. I find that much of the concentrate ferments out again but the flavor is still incredible.

I don't know what I am doing wrong then but I find my cider still tastes great. I did go on a week vacation last summer and my cider was cloudier (with yeast tastes) when I came back. After a few glasses, the yeast was removed and it was clear again.
Maybe I am under-sorbating it? I'm not too concerned because even after time and it ferments dry again, I find the finished product is better than strait from a carboy fresh.

I've just used potassium sorbate (no temp pasteurization) on every batch of cider after a good 35*F cold crash (to drop as much yeast out of suspension as possible) and transfer to the keg. It has no detectable effect of flavor...
Without using Sulfite also, what amount of Sorbate only do you use?
I Sulfited the last 3 batches that I did and don't like the pungent aftertaste and aroma.

I don't know what I am doing wrong then...
If you're getting an ongoing fermentation after stabilizing then part of the procedure didn't take hold.
I've been taught that the Sulfite/Sorbate combo won't stop an active fermentation.
It's possible that's why the batch started again after sweetening.

If you're getting an ongoing fermentation after stabilizing then part of the procedure didn't take hold.
I've been taught that the Sulfite/Sorbate combo won't stop an active fermentation.
It's possible that's why the batch started again after sweetening.

That's correct as far as I know. The potassium compounds mess with the yeast cells' ability to reproduce. That's why it's best to let the cider fully ferment and then give it a good, long (I do at least a week) cold crash to drop out as much yeast as possible. Careful siphoning is also helpful.

In regards to the original ask, when fermentation is done i fill my keg and throw into the keg fridge that sits at around 40 degrees. I then backsweeten (either with concentrate or dextrose or caramel). As long as you'll be keeping it cold the yeast should sleep soundly. No pasteurizing or sorbate or whatever else. Another reason I love kegging.

In regards to the original ask, when fermentation is done i fill my keg and throw into the keg fridge that sits at around 40 degrees. I then backsweeten (either with concentrate or dextrose or caramel). As long as you'll be keeping it cold the yeast should sleep soundly. No pasteurizing or sorbate or whatever else. Another reason I love kegging.

I dont have the space to be able to put the extra kegs in a fridge right now. I have the ability to let it sit at room temperature. I dont mind using honey or concentrate I just have to find a way to kill the yeast first, so I was going to orginally put the 5 gallons on the stove and heat to 160 and then shut off the stove and put a lid on the pan and let it fall to room temperature. I read somewhere on here that is a bad idea because of oxidation. So what is the best way to kill off the remaining yeast after the initial fermentation?

If you fermented your cider until it was dry (it sounds like you did), then I would rack it to a clean and sanitized keg, give it a shot of CO2 to seal the lid, and then let it sit at room temp. When you have room in the fridge, then back sweeten and refrigerate while on CO2 to chill and carb.

You might get some fermentation starting up again, but I wouldn't think it would be much before it gets chilled down to where the yeast go dormant.

If you fermented your cider until it was dry (it sounds like you did), then I would rack it to a clean and sanitized keg, give it a shot of CO2 to seal the lid, and then let it sit at room temp. When you have room in the fridge, then back sweeten and refrigerate while on CO2 to chill and carb.

You might get some fermentation starting up again, but I wouldn't think it would be much before it gets chilled down to where the yeast go dormant.

Thanks for the advise and that answer will suffice, if there is not another way to go about back sweetening. I was hoping to find a way to do it as I keg it or in the in between step (open to others thoughts on this too still).

How do you back sweeten with honey? It is kind of thick so I dont think it would really mix in well with it, do you warm it up first? mix it with warm water? Also wouldn't using honey make it a cyser or is that only during the fermentation part.

Also on a side note could you use corn syrup or molasses to back sweeten? Ideally I would like to maybe try cane sugar or real maple syrup.

I have never back sweetened cider. I stop the fermentation before it gets done. The sticky at the top of the page by CvilleKevin talks about it.

Here is a link to his specific post where he talks about his process:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6452205&postcount=932

Basically it is a slow fermentation at a cool temp (55 to 60°F) and then you rack, cold crash, and rack again. Repeat if necessary. You can effectively stop fermentation while leaving residual sweetness.

Cider isn't as susceptible to oxidation, as I understand it, as beer is. Something about hops that gets you that "wet cardboard" taste in oxidized beer.

Back