Back from hiatus - should I keep my old grain or toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Hey gang, I am coming back to brewing after a long hiatus. Long enough that my posts belong in the beginners forum, for sure.

I think it's been a year and a half since my last batch. Anyway, before life got in the way and I stopped, I got an amazing deal on two 55lb sacks of grain. Well, those sacks of grain are still here, and I would love your thoughts on whether or not I should use them.

In all this time they've been kept dry. There's no mouse or bug damage. No sign of mold or mildew. The temperature has been reasonably stable.

They still smell good. I crushed some and it looks and tastes fine.

What's your vote? Yeah or nah?
image.jpg

might take a little longer than normal for conversion, but you should be alright. stick to a style with a bit of character (lots of roast or toffee or hops) and i doubt you'll be able to taste anything off even if you're really looking for it.

I'm sure it's fine and will produce some very drinkable beers while you're getting back into the rhythm. Maybe don't do a Pale American Lager or a Pilsner. Otherwise, I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice!

It's all Vienna and it makes a killer "almost lager". I could easily throw in a little medium or dark crystal to - voila! - make it into an English ale. Which does sound nice for fall and winter.

I'm not sure when brew day is going to happen. It might be a few weeks. But I'll come back and update.

On a totally unrelated note, I came up with some pretty legit brew day shortcuts before I quit. I should make a thread.

Wow I miss this hobby. Except for sanitizing bottles. I swear, I am the only homebrewer who is constantly bleaching them to remove beer stone.

BREW IT!
Im also coming back after a long hiatus- 4 years. So im right here in the beginners area too buddy.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice!

It's all Vienna and it makes a killer "almost lager". I could easily throw in a little medium or dark crystal to - voila! - make it into an English ale. Which does sound nice for fall and winter.

I'm not sure when brew day is going to happen. It might be a few weeks. But I'll come back and update.

On a totally unrelated note, I came up with some pretty legit brew day shortcuts before I quit. I should make a thread.

Wow I miss this hobby. Except for sanitizing bottles. I swear, I am the only homebrewer who is constantly bleaching them to remove beer stone.
I’d love to learn some short cuts.
I got a good one to share with ya, quit with the bottles and start kegging😁

Just wondering how long can you store grain for without it degrading?

That's a good question... I think if it's stored in a clean dry place, it can stay good for a long time. Even in grain bins (which are gross), grains stay good a long time. I guess the enemies are mold and rodents. If you can keep those away...

I think I read a thread somewhere on here from a farmer about how long Barley takes to get to your mill, even if your buying it "fresh" and in the same day you purchase it. Often there's a 1-2 year lag (maybe more) before the maltser even gets it, then it might sit in his silo for another year or so. After its malted the big breweries get top pick and the lhbs get what remains... Your grain may be 5 years old before you even get it.

Is that a problem? It all depends on how it's stored and handled. Moisture is the biggest enemy, that and varmints. Keep those out and your malt should last a long time.

If it tastes good and crunches fresh it'll make good beer.

As long as it tastes fine it should be fine for brewing, too. Aside from bug issues the other big problem with older grain is that it becomes slack, which means it gets spongey. The taste will go flat and the grain will compress in the mash bed and create problems with stuck mash/sparge--but you are probably at least a couple years away from that being an issue if you store your grain somewhere dry.

I think I read a thread somewhere on here from a farmer about how long Barley takes to get to your mill, even if your buying it "fresh" and in the same day you purchase it. Often there's a 1-2 year lag (maybe more) before the maltser even gets it, then it might sit in his silo for another year or so. After its malted the big breweries get top pick and the lhbs get what remains... Your grain may be 5 years old before you even get it.

Is that a problem? It all depends on how it's stored and handled. Moisture is the biggest enemy, that and varmints. Keep those out and your malt should last a long time.

If it tastes good and crunches fresh it'll make good beer.

I think 5 years is probably an exaggeration. A 1.5 year median wouldn't shock me, and some 5 year junk getting blended in wouldn't shock me. Stuff that old probably goes to livestock.

I agree with you and others... If it tastes good and has a good crush, it should be fine. The enemies are bugs, mold, and rodents.

if it's been properly stored whole grain should last for years.

Back