Quantcast

Back from hiatus - should I keep my old grain or toss it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Hey gang, I am coming back to brewing after a long hiatus. Long enough that my posts belong in the beginners forum, for sure.

I think it's been a year and a half since my last batch. Anyway, before life got in the way and I stopped, I got an amazing deal on two 55lb sacks of grain. Well, those sacks of grain are still here, and I would love your thoughts on whether or not I should use them.

In all this time they've been kept dry. There's no mouse or bug damage. No sign of mold or mildew. The temperature has been reasonably stable.

They still smell good. I crushed some and it looks and tastes fine.

What's your vote? Yeah or nah?
image.jpg

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
might take a little longer than normal for conversion, but you should be alright. stick to a style with a bit of character (lots of roast or toffee or hops) and i doubt you'll be able to taste anything off even if you're really looking for it.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure it's fine and will produce some very drinkable beers while you're getting back into the rhythm. Maybe don't do a Pale American Lager or a Pilsner. Otherwise, I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it :)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i was just thinking before saying, brew it! i guess a guy could toss a batch in the oven for a bit at a low setting to 'freshen' it up.

OP
Barley_Bob

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice!

It's all Vienna and it makes a killer "almost lager". I could easily throw in a little medium or dark crystal to - voila! - make it into an English ale. Which does sound nice for fall and winter.

I'm not sure when brew day is going to happen. It might be a few weeks. But I'll come back and update.

On a totally unrelated note, I came up with some pretty legit brew day shortcuts before I quit. I should make a thread.

Wow I miss this hobby. Except for sanitizing bottles. I swear, I am the only homebrewer who is constantly bleaching them to remove beer stone.

Kahler

Reaction score
BREW IT!
Im also coming back after a long hiatus- 4 years. So im right here in the beginners area too buddy.

Nokie

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice!

It's all Vienna and it makes a killer "almost lager". I could easily throw in a little medium or dark crystal to - voila! - make it into an English ale. Which does sound nice for fall and winter.

I'm not sure when brew day is going to happen. It might be a few weeks. But I'll come back and update.

On a totally unrelated note, I came up with some pretty legit brew day shortcuts before I quit. I should make a thread.

Wow I miss this hobby. Except for sanitizing bottles. I swear, I am the only homebrewer who is constantly bleaching them to remove beer stone.
I’d love to learn some short cuts.
I got a good one to share with ya, quit with the bottles and start kegging😁

OP
Barley_Bob

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
I’d love to learn some short cuts.
I got a good one to share with ya, quit with the bottles and start kegging😁
My dude, I wish. When the time comes, I'll take all the help I can get.