Back bittering with hop tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I've got a batch of ESB and English Barleywine (were done partigyle) that suffered from low hop utilization from a different (stainless steel mesh... too fine) hop spider design I used. I'd like to bump up the IBUs on each between 5 and 10, tasting as I go. Seems if I make a small concentrated batch of hop tea and boil it long enough to isomerize a "back bittering" can be done by strained, concentrated additions to each keg.

Now my questions.... as I'd like this to be fairly repeatable and moderately scientific.

1) How can I calculate the IBUs such a tea would impart to a give volume of tea? Then how to measure out the effect on a 5 gallon batch?

2) How long to boil? If 60 minutes do you run into issues with too much evap in lets say a small tea kettle? Can you just top up with tap water if volume gets low?

3) Strain the hops out with a coffee filter post or keep them in a paint strainer mesh bag for the whole
boil?

4) Could I store this back bittering concentrate for later use without a substantial loss in ibu power?

5) Which hops to use? (was thinking high AA and clean... like Magnum)

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think you are going to get the results you hope for. You aren't going to get above 100IBU in a boiling process. A pint of that in a 5 gallon batch would be dilluting it by a factor of 41, or something like a 2 IBU bump. Scaling up to 10 IBU would be something over a half gallon of hop tea and would definitely impact your overall flavor.

They do sell much more concentrated hop extract.

http://morebeer.com/products/isohop-bitterness-extract-1-oz.html

Couldn't I just condense/concentrate it?

Thanks for the link it's actually exactly what I'm looking for.... just hoping to do it at home!

Well, someone else has figured out how to do it, so you can theoretically do it too. It's not just condensing though. There is a saturation point around 100IBU that you just can't get beyond with boiling. All the products seem to claim a separation process involving liquid CO2

I did see the hoptech stuff while googling... way cheaper than morebeer too.... im going to pick some of that up. Too cheap not to

Latest posts

Back