Back again (again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Been five years. I am now all grain brewing :)
Bought a 50L Guten on Friday and have already put two brews through it. Loving it! Was using pots and a gas burner, but this is much easier.
Brewed a Choc Stout (was meant to be 10%, but somehow ended up at 15% OG - prob to do with only getting 17 litres instead of 23). Second beer is an IPA. aimed for 5, got 5.5% OG.

Glad to be back.

David aka Haggis aka Dibby33

Posts are nothing without pictures (took the 50l gluten to the limit for the stout as you will see)

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • stout.jpg
    stout.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • twobeer.jpg
    twobeer.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Welcome back. Question what are you measuring that gives OG in a percentage? Is that your predicted ABV?

Sorry - I wrote that a bit confusingly. But it did make me look at the OG reading again. ...not sure where I got 15% from. The OG was 1.112, which according to Brewers Friend calculator makes it 13.39%. Close enough :)

Sorry - I wrote that a bit confusingly. But it did make me look at the OG reading again. ...not sure where I got 15% from. The OG was 1.112, which according to Brewers Friend calculator makes it 13.39%. Close enough :)

That is assuming that you hit your predicted FG which is doubtful since the volumes were off and your OG much higher than it should be. But that might not be a bad thing in this case. A little lower ABV might make the beer less harsh.

Time will tell. I am taking this as a learning batch as it was my first one on new equipment. I have some maths to do :)

Latest posts

Back