BIAB Amarillo cryo hopped lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey77

Reaction score
I brewed my first BIAB batch on Friday and figured I'd share. I've been wanting to experiment with cryo hops and figured this would be a good beer to try them in.

Here's the recipe:

2.75 gallon batch size

5lbs golden promise 83.3%
8 oz flaked oats 8.3%
4 oz Carahell 4.2%
4 oz corn sugar 4.2%
. 07 oz Amarillo cryo hops @ 60 minutes 7.8
IBU
.4 oz Amarillo cryo hops @ whirlpool 30 minutes 17 IBU
.53 oz (whatever is left in 1oz package!) @dry hop

Yeast WLP810

Mash @ 150

Ferment @ 59

OG 1.056
Est. ABV 5.6%

20200514_123854.jpg
20200516_082126.jpg

Sorry for the lack of pics. I'll take some more pics of the process the next time I brew!

The setup is a modified SS Brewtech 5.5 gallon kettle. I added the whirlpool fitting and a weldless tri-clamp fitting to the lid for attaching a thermowell. When boiling, the hole in the lid acts as a steam vent so I can turn the heat down and still get a hard boil. 5 gallon paint strainer bags fit this kettle perfectly.

I'm using an insignia induction burner for the heat source and it works great. I also notched out the back of the lid for my immersion chiller and for a heatstick so I can maintain temps when I do kettle sours. I'm just controlling it with Johnson a419 controller that was collecting dust.

Fermenter is a Brewtech mini brew bucket with temp control. I set the temp for 59 and it fluctuates between 58 and 60 but for the most part is pretty spot on.

I'll try and update the progress on the brew. If you have any questions just let me know!

I just kegged and took a taste of my RyePA that I used Cryo Simcoe and Citra in a 15 whirpool and a dry hop. I used standard Simcoe and Citra at late boil as well. Followed up with Imperial Flagship which ove ratenuated but when dry hopping, I followed what I've read recently on AHA's website and dry hopped below 55 down to 39 before cold crashing at 36 and kegging......on the 12 day. Set pressure to 30 psi for 24 hours then to serving pressure and exactly 2 week later, am drinking it and the aroma in unbelievable! I've only used cryo once before and at flameout but the aroma was not like this.
2 days after kegging, I can tell it's already starting to lose the extremely, uber fresh aroma but the taste will hopefully stick around. Hope I can find more.

I just kegged and took a taste of my RyePA that I used Cryo Simcoe and Citra in a 15 whirpool and a dry hop. I used standard Simcoe and Citra at late boil as well. Followed up with Imperial Flagship which ove ratenuated but when dry hopping, I followed what I've read recently on AHA's website and dry hopped below 55 down to 39 before cold crashing at 36 and kegging......on the 12 day. Set pressure to 30 psi for 24 hours then to serving pressure and exactly 2 week later, am drinking it and the aroma in unbelievable! I've only used cryo once before and at flameout but the aroma was not like this.
2 days after kegging, I can tell it's already starting to lose the extremely, uber fresh aroma but the taste will hopefully stick around. Hope I can find more.
Sounds awesome! I dry hopped at around 60 degrees and didn't get quite the aroma I was after but maybe I just need to up the amount next time. This was my first turn on the new system and I over shot my mash temp and the beer didn't attenuate as much as I would have liked. Next up is a hazy but I'll revisit this recipe because I think it can be good with a couple tweaks.

How much did you dry hop your ryepa?

Back