Baby Yoda - Hoppy Session IPL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never brewed an IPL or a session IPA for that matter with this low abv.

However, I do love Baby Yoda and think this is a good idea. I have also brewed many nice lagers & IPAs.

Here's the recipe I came up with for a 10 gallon batch (do divide all amounts by 2 per 5g)

Since this yeast accentuates maltiness I'm figuring all pils & no crystal makes sense.

Let me know what y'all think:

------------------------------------------------------------
Baby Yoda (Session IPL)
star0.jpg

All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 12.54 gal Style: German Pils ( 5D)
Bitterness: 28.3 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.044 Mash @ 157 (yields 80% attenuation on my setup)
Est FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.7% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
19.63 gal New York, NY Water 1
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Boil 60 min) Misc 7

20 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4
12.00 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 5

1.30 oz Magnum [12.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 6

4.00 oz Motueka [7.0%] - Steep 5 min Hops 9
4.00 oz Wai-iti [3.0%] - Steep 5 min Hops 10

4.00 oz Motueka [7.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 12
4.00 oz Wai-iti [3.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 13
1.00 oz Cryo - Mosaic [22.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 14

Bavarian Lager Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast 11

I think it looks great. Brew it up! I’m actually getting prepared to brew a Black IPL tomorrow. I’ve never brewed an IPL much less a dark one.

Personally I’d cut the hops back a bit.. I’ve made a few IPLs or hoppy Pilsners and I’m routinely shocked how strong the hop flavor and aroma come through in the final beer as compared to the same WP and Dry hopping amounts used with an ale yeast.

Personally I’d cut the hops back a bit.. I’ve made a few IPLs or hoppy Pilsners and I’m routinely shocked how strong the hop flavor and aroma come through in the final beer as compared to the same WP and Dry hopping amounts used with an ale yeast.

I feel like since I'm dry hopping in the keg (while a decent amount of yeast is still in suspension) a lot of hop aroma will drop out by the time it clears up.

I know I've been disappointed with aroma when dry hopping other non floculent strains after they drop bright

If I had a separate vessel to use as a bright tank that would probably be ideal to do prior to dry hopping. I don't like to cold crash in primary since I'm using carboys and want to avoid oxidation

Note: i use a floating dip tube in keg so draw clear beer from the top

Have you done a lager with a bittering charge like that before? I'm done a couple hoppy pilsners hopped at about the same rate as you(1.5oz per gallon) but I only used low AA noble hops like Saaz on the hot side. I like my pilsners spicy and with a little bite but I'd be scared to go too bitter unless it has worked for you. I have a pilsner fermenting now that had a lot of Saaz during the boil and Huell Melon whirlpool and dry hop.

Have you done a lager with a bittering charge like that before? I'm done a couple hoppy pilsners hopped at about the same rate as you(1.5oz per gallon) but I only used low AA noble hops like Saaz on the hot side. I like my pilsners spicy and with a little bite but I'd be scared to go too bitter unless it has worked for you. I have a pilsner fermenting now that had a lot of Saaz during the boil and Huell Melon whirlpool and dry hop.

My recipe is for 12 gallons. So cut what I have listed in half. Its only 20 or so IBUs in the bittering charge. Rest of IBUs are from flame out / whirlpool.

All other flavor/aroma hops are added at flame out (roughly 4oz per 5g batch). I have the flameout addition listed as 5 min steep so beersmith will accounts for some IBUs. In reality it, I add that addition at flame out, cover and turn on the chiller (immersion) immediately. It takes some time to cool down so I like to account for some IBUs even for flameout addition (at least for my setup)

Last edited:
Hey all... any update on this?
I am looking to make an IPL style lager...
Wondering how this faired?
Thanks all

Unfortunately, I haven't brewed since the pandemic hit so never got a chance to do this one. I moved to a new place without outdoor space and need to migrate my setup.

The next lager I'm going to do will be after I get vaccinated and will be called "Schwag Ultra - Post Pandemic - Better than Corona - Mexican Lager"

Then I'll revisit this one after

Latest posts

Back