Baby Bottle Sterilizing Fluid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1609

Reaction score
I've just purchased a Fermzilla all-rounder recently. Is it OK to use a baby bottle sanitizing fluid to sanitize the all-rounder?

Ok, all fun aside...I just noticed the OP is a newcomer (and welcome, @Mike1609 :mug: ) so we should probably try to take this a bit more seriously.

I took a look for "baby bottle sanitizing fluid" and drilled a dry hole, then switched to "baby bottle sterilizing fluid" and came up with a ton of options, but at roughly a dollar per ounce they cost a ton as well, when compared to alternatives commonly used by home brewers. And sanitizing a vessel with it? Might as well light a stack of currency on fire while one is at it.

In that regard, fwiw, I use Five Star Star San. Compared to baby sterilizers ;) it's dirt cheap...

Cheers!

The active ingredient in Milton's baby bottle sterilizing fluid is sodium hypochlorite, which is commonly called bleach. This raised a red flag for me because you typically need to rinse well when sanitize your brew equipment with bleach. However, the instructions say not to rinse when using 5L of water to one capful of sanitizer. So it's very diluted bleach solution and safe as a no rinse sanitizer.

As day_tripper pointed out, it's much more expensive than Star San, but if you already have the baby bottle sterilizer I would use it.

If Star San is too expensive or it's unavailable where you live, maybe try making your own no rinse sanitizer using bleach and vinegar. Here's a link to a good article with instruction to make it.

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse-sanitiser-home-brewing-beer/

The active ingredient in Milton's baby bottle sterilizing fluid is sodium hypochlorite, which is commonly called bleach. This raised a red flag for me because you typically need to rinse well when sanitize your brew equipment with bleach. However, the instructions say not to rinse when using 5L of water to one capful of sanitizer. So it's very diluted bleach solution and safe as a no rinse sanitizer.

As day_tripper pointed out, it's much more expensive than Star San, but if you already have the baby bottle sterilizer I would use it.

If Star San is too expensive or it's unavailable where you live, maybe try making your own no rinse sanitizer using bleach and vinegar. Here's a link to a good article with instruction to make it.

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse-sanitiser-home-brewing-beer/

Be that as it may, I’d be very leery of off flavors or residual taste from the active ingredient you mention without a good rinse-which would likely negate any sanitation achieved.

Ok, all fun aside...I just noticed the OP is a newcomer (and welcome, @Mike1609 :mug: ) so we should probably try to take this a bit more seriously.

I took a look for "baby bottle sanitizing fluid" and drilled a dry hole, then switched to "baby bottle sterilizing fluid" and came up with a ton of options, but at roughly a dollar per ounce they cost a ton as well, when compared to alternatives commonly used by home brewers. And sanitizing a vessel with it? Might as well light a stack of currency on fire while one is at it.

In that regard, fwiw, I use Five Star Star San. Compared to baby sterilizers ;) it's dirt cheap...

Cheers!
Thanks for your advice. The reason I asked was I looked in to using Star San but you can't buy it in GB for some reason. The one I've got is a gritty powder and I was weary of using it in case it scratched the body of my new fermzilla.

ChemSan No Rinse Sanitiser is an ideal replacement for StarSan in the UK, very similar in composition that does exactly the same job. A blend of phosphoric acid, benzenesulfonic acid and isopropanol. Not recommended on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product.

I have been using Ideal gentle Iodine wound Spray, 1%, for over 10 years. 1 oz @ 2 1/2 gal H20. around $ 14 per Gal. Mix it up brew day and fill spritzer for everything. I sanitize carboys, hoses, funnels, kegs, then toss it

Latest posts

Back