B Brite issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrifterFred

Reaction score
OK...did my first brew last weekend, an extract Cream Ale, I went to take an hydrometer reading this morning and noticed they gave me B Brite ( a cleaner) instead of C Brite (a cleaner/sanitizer)...so my brew pot, spoon, ferment bucket etc.. were cleaned but not sanitized... what are the odds my batch is contaminated?

Time is really the only way to tell... I have friends that brewed back in the early nineties when there really weren't sanitizers around (so they say at least) and they never had issues. Keep an eye one it and search infections so you know what to look for if it is. Go get some Star San, its not too spendy and if you make it with distilled water and re-use it, it will last quite a while.

No worries on the brew pot. The boil will take care of sanitizing. The spoon if used only for stirring the boil is also not an issue, if you stirred after flameout it could potentially be an issue if you touched a lot of dirty stuff. The fermentation bucket would be my biggest concern since the wort/beer spends the most time in contact with this.

As OClair said only time will tell.

the spoon was used for the steeping of grains, stirring extracts in the boil and to aerate the wort/ mix yeast in the ferment bucket...

Back