Aztec Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosterhoot

Reaction score
There is a hot chocolate mix from Lake Champlain Chocolate Company that is called Aztec Hot Chocolate. It has a slight cayanne and and cinnanmon flavor, which goes real well with the sweetness of the chocolate. I have been playing around with doing a stout or porter that mimics the flavors. I basically took a receipe formed from Papazian and added the cayanne, cinnamon, and chocolate. I'm not sure about quantities and wanted to see if any experienced brewers had any insights. I'm looking for subtlety. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
6.5 Lbs Dark LME (probably will convert to DME)
1.5 LBs Light LME (convert to DME)
1 Lbs of carmel malt 90-100 lovibond
1/3 lbs black roasted malt
1/3 lb roasted barley
1/3 lb american chocolate
60 minute 2 ox Northern Brewer
15 minute 1 ounce Fuggles
Aroma 1 oz Fuggles
Last 15 minutes
1 teaspoon Cayanne
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 oz. Chocolate powder

That's a really good chocolate drink. Very enjoyable even with the cayenne.

IMO, all that dark malt (LME) is not necessary. You have enough carmel malt (90-100 lovibond), black roasted malt, roasted barley, and american chocolate to make it dark enough. Use a light malt for your base. Using too much dark malts can make your brew taste more astrigent.

Point taken. What do you think about the amount of cayanne, cinnammon and chocolate powder? Too much, too little, or ok?

Back