Azacca Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verett

Reaction score
I just brewed this up today! This is for a 3.5 gallon batch. Just something I came up with to showcase Azacca hops. Please critique my recipe.

Grain bill:
Pale 2-row6lbs
60L Crystal2oz
120L Crystal2oz
Flaked Oats4oz
Mashed at 150F for 90min with 2.5 gallons of fridge filtered water. Batch sparged with 2.5 gallons of fridge filtered water at 170-175F for 15min.
Target pre-boil volume: 4.5-4.75 gallons.

Hop schedule:
Estimated IBU 52
.5 oz Azacca 13.1% AA60min
.5 oz Azacca 13.1% AA15min
1 oz Azacca 13.1% AAWhirlpool

Target post-boil volume: 3.75-4 gallons.099ui
Post-boil OG 13.5 Brix (1.054 SG)
Fermenting with Safale US05

Last edited:
I did an all Azzaca IPA back in March though I used warrior for initial bittering. I don’t generally experiment with bittering hops as I have had bad experiences. I hopped a little heavier and did a dry hop too. The brew came out deliciously fruity And went quick. Would definitely do again. But your recipe looks good, though I would do a dry hop.

Thanks for the feedback! Since I don’t typically do a secondary and I use narrow necked glass carboys I probably won’t try the dry hop on this one. I like the idea of dry hopping but I’m working with a limited set up and like to keep things simple.

This is the result about 3 weeks later. It actually turned out to be more of an Azacca IPA than a a Pale Ale. Pretty delicious though!
C59B08CB-E0D7-43A4-96B7-9FAB264F6CAC.jpeg

Azacca is great stuff. It does really well in nice straightforward recipes.
I had bad luck with dry hopping at first while having my own limited set up, but it really does add another level of depth when you’re able to do it.

Latest posts

Back