Azacca hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from anyone with experience using these hops. I've seen some talk about them, I read every thread that even mentions them. Can anyone provide any additional input. Do they add very much citrus? Is the fruitiness very pronounced? Any stone fruit?
I've been using Galaxy but haven't been able to find more Galaxy leaf. I'm not going to use pellets, just not happening because my system isn't set up for it. I know azacca won't be a 1-for-1 sub, but will it bring a similar character to the table. I like a little tropical and stone fruit character juxtaposed against the big citrus notes I have in my pales ales. Would Azacca give me any of what I'm looking for, or am I barking up the wrong tree here? Thanks guys.

I just got some Azacca to experiment with so no real experience. Posting here to see what others have to say.

I was thinking a simple Pale ale mixed with Apollo for bittering, Centennial for aroma/flavor in addition to the Azacca.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I may not be able to help much, but hey it'll keep your thread alive another day. I assume you read the HBT thread on Hop Ranch? I brewed a pared down version of Hop Ranch based on that thread and it came out really well. But I can't tell you how much of the hop flavor is due to Azacca vs Mosaic -they were about half and half in the recipe. Anyway the Azacca flavors that seem to get mentioned by others, that I noticed in my beer, were pear, pineapple, mango.

I brewed a really light lager with all azacca, currently just about finishing primary. The samples so far have been very light, pear/apple, pineapple, some light floral. Not much citrus. I really like the flavor paired with pilsner malt. I did just 4oz in a 11g batch and it really shines, 1.044 OG. I'll try to remember to post back when it's drinking time. They were a little pricey ($23/lb) but I'm digging them.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely intrigued. I might have to pull the trigger and order some.

I've brewed with them a few times now, both at typical usage and imperial ipa rates. Single hopped. At lower amounts, they have a pleasant tropical-citrus character that goes almost mango and citrus rind with a little dank. Would be nice in hoppier Belgian styles. In higher amounts it has a very strong, overripe fruit character...sorta like rotting peaches and oranges, but in a good way.

They are similar to Galaxy in that they both have an overripe fruit character, but the azacca is not nearly as strong. They would be nice paired with more citrus forward hops...cascade, centennial, columbus, ect.

I've brewed with them a few times now, both at typical usage and imperial ipa rates. Single hopped. At lower amounts, they have a pleasant tropical-citrus character that goes almost mango and citrus rind with a little dank. Would be nice in hoppier Belgian styles. In higher amounts it has a very strong, overripe fruit character...sorta like rotting peaches and oranges, but in a good way.

They are similar to Galaxy in that they both have an overripe fruit character, but the azacca is not nearly as strong. They would be nice paired with more citrus forward hops...cascade, centennial, columbus, ect.

I might try it with columbus then, I have 12oz of azacca left and a full # of columbus and I've been trying to find a use for the columbus.

I bet they'd be good in a witbier too, or a saison.

Well I bought some. 18.25 for a pound (with shipping) from hopsdirect. Now I need to figure out how to use them. I'm thinking of a very simple grain bill (maybe pale ale malt, 5% crystal and a touch of Biscuit), then an imperial amber. We'll see.

Today I brewed an APA with Columbus for bittering at 60 (just a quarter ounce) with 1 oz additions of Azacca at 15, 10, 5 and 0 with a 20 minute whirlpool (over 180F). Will dry hop with another oz after krausen drops. Smelled like any other american hop, no worries but also nothing that made me stand up and take notice. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I brewed with these today. I only used azacca for flavor and aroma. I added 3 oz. in the whirlpool at 175. It dropped to 160 by the end. It smelled like mangos. Really ripe mangos. I'm very excited and hopeful that the flavor carries through. I'll report back after I get some samples.

I brewed a German Pilsner / Azacca SMaSH and shared it over thanksgiving:

OG: 1.06, FG: 1.012, WLP001, ~30 IBUs.
0.5oz @ 15 min, 1.5oz @ whirlpool, 2oz dry hop for 3 days

I then hit it with gelatin and force carbonated. Tastes great, and I'm excited to use the rest of the pound I bought. Has a fruity flavor, maybe a little lime, tropical, not much "dank" or pine. Worked great by itself.

Just did the following IPA:

5 Gallons

Mash at 150 for 60 min/Boil 60

US-05 rehydrated

OG: 1.057
FG:?? Aiming for 1.010 or lower

7lbs Patagonia 2-Row
.5lb Crystal 10
.5lb Munich
2lbs DME flameout

1oz Apollo FWH
1oz Apollo 10 min
1oz Comet 5 min
2oz Centennial 30min hop stand
2oz Azacca 30min hop stand

I will probably dry hop with:
1.5oz Centennial
1.5oz Amarillo

So the pale ale made with 1 oz each (of 14%AA) at 15, 10, 5 and whirlpool (20 min) and 1oz dry hopped (3 days before cold crashing, then another 4 days) has a nice bitterness, flavor of ripe tropical fruits, tangerine aroma. Just for S&G I'd like to try it as a dry hop in a wit.

Brewed an all Azacca Pale Ale yesterday. Efficiency a little better than planned, so borderline IPA at 1.061 OG. Bumped up the hops after seeing pre-boil gravity to get 58 (mostly late) IBU's. Simple grain bill with 90% 2-row, 5% crystal, 5% simple sugar. Tried for a wort that wouldn't compete with the hops.

The hops were gifted to me by a friend, so jumping into this thread to get a better idea of what I brewed. From what I've read so far, it should be something good. Thanks to everyone who has posted. I'll be following the thread while waiting and add my results.

Brewed up an AIPA last weekend with Colombus and Azacca (I love doing columbus + fruity hop combos)

OG 1.065 FG 1.011
73 IBU

47% Pils
32% pale malt
15% munich
6% caravienne

90 min boil

.5 oz Bravo FWH (old stock I'm trying to use up)
1oz Columbus 15 min
1oz Azacca 5 min
1oz Columbus + 1oz Azacca whirlpool 20 min
1.5oz Columbus + 1.5oz Azacca dry hop

Yeast Bay Vermont Ale

Sample after the initial dry hop was awesome, apricot/mango + dank resin from the Columbus.

I'm still holding out on providing a description of the batch I brewed with these hops. I used some specialty grains that were fairly old, and probably inappropriate for the beer anyhow. The gravity sample I pulled tasted green and the malt profile was a little off, which all distracted me from the hop character. I've got it sitting at 49F clearing up, then I will keg it and dry hop. We'll see how things turn out. I just hope the aroma I smelled coming from the kettle is present when I get some gas on this beer.

Just did the following IPA:

5 Gallons

Mash at 150 for 60 min/Boil 60

US-05 rehydrated

OG: 1.057
FG:?? Aiming for 1.010 or lower

7lbs Patagonia 2-Row
.5lb Crystal 10
.5lb Munich
2lbs DME flameout

1oz Apollo FWH
1oz Apollo 10 min
1oz Comet 5 min
2oz Centennial 30min hop stand
2oz Azacca 30min hop stand

I will probably dry hop with:
1.5oz Centennial
1.5oz Amarillo

Quick update on this. Finished out at 1.008

A little over 3 weeks in the bottle. This is a very grapefruit heavy IPA. I don't think that's a result of the Azacca alone but it is one of the flavor descriptors. I'm sure the late Apollo/Comet is emphasizing that a lot.

I have a "control" batch with the only difference being 2oz of El Dorado in place of the Azacca that I'll be trying this weekend.

I finished off my first Azacca beer, it was fantastic. Once it was mature I got a lot of papaya and mango and had other people tell me mango as well and this was only 4oz in a 10g batch. Still got 12oz left, I'm thinking I might do an IPL with the rest of them and some leftover wyeast 2001.

So my first Azacca beer is on tap now and I've had a few glasses. I don't think these hops are particularly intense. I do think they are subtle and have nice complexity. I have picked up hints of apple/pear and some pineapple flavor. They also have some very nice floral notes. My wife only tastes the floral. I had a friend stop by and right away said he picked up orange. I think I can see where he is coming from. I am happy to continue using these and think they will pair well with hops that have some bite to them. I do also have an IPA/Amber Ale fusion brewed with Azacca and Willamette for flavor/aroma and Topaz for buttering in the fermenter right now. Early samples of that are amazing but it is moving slow because the fermentation temps have been pretty low.
It seems like people are getting very different impressions from these hops. It makes me think the flavors they produce are influenced a great deal by the grain composition. I might be wrong about this but I think that is kind of cool.

Azacca has become one of my favorite hops. I first used it when trying to figure out how to clone Victory Hop Ranch but I've used it a bunch since then. It was gone for awhile until this years harvest and I stocked up on 5lb. The mango notes are what keeps me coming back to this hop.

Just tapped my keg of Azacca IPA. Used hop extract for bittering, 3.5 oz during the boil, 2.5 oz whirlpool, and 5 oz dry hop. First thought is ripe, tropical fruit aroma and flavor, a touch of sweetness, and a tiny bit spicy. The hop is not overwhelming, even with the large additions. Grain bill was 65% 2-row, 30% Vienna, 2% each Carapils and Crystal 10L. OG/FG 1.070/1.014, 7.4% ABV. Very easy drinking, looking forward to downing a pint every night.

I just tasted NB's Azacca ale made with 4 oz of Azacca (free from AHA) and it's very bland. My wife asked if I'd forgotten the hops. Maybe you need 8-12 oz in a 5 gal batch to get much taste/aroma, or even bittering for that matter. I won't be using this variety again.

I've used it a couple times and I have to agree that it is more subtle than say something like citra or simcoe.

10 lbs 8.0 oz Munich (BestMÃlz) (12.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.3 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.4 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.2 %
2.50 ml HopShot [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 28.5 IBUs
1.00 oz azacca [10.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 7.8 IBUs
2.00 oz azacca [10.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 6 6.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg norcal (gigayeast #) Yeast 7 -
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

This one is on tap right now and it's great. Complex but complementary hop flavors/aromas. Mixes well with vienna lager or oktoberfest oddly enough. One tap line, 3 kegs, there's a mixed glass every time you switch beers.

I brewed a really light lager with all azacca, currently just about finishing primary. The samples so far have been very light, pear/apple, pineapple, some light floral. Not much citrus. I really like the flavor paired with pilsner malt. I did just 4oz in a 11g batch and it really shines, 1.044 OG. I'll try to remember to post back when it's drinking time. They were a little pricey ($23/lb) but I'm digging them.

Do you have a recipe Brett? Sounds like a winner.

Back