Ayup! Brewery gets started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayupbrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would give a quick intro. Im a Brit (Yorkshire) living in Portland, OR now and just about to do my first brew ever in the morning....! Very exciting. I am operating under the name Ayup Brewery. An all purpose Yorkshire word that means "hello", "how are you", "what's up?" etc etc a conversation starter if you will... a nod to the fact that good beer should be enjoyed with good friends and good conversation!

My set up is a basic 5G extract set up with possibilities to do small AG batches or BIAB.

I am brewing a Jubleale clone, slightly adapted for personal preferences...less hops...I know, im in Portland and I said LESS! hops.....:) Which I have called Rudolphs Night Cap.

As a Chemist I feel like I should be able to handle the art and the science of brewing but we shall see.

Cheers to a happy brew day for all tomorrow!

Almost in Primary: Rudolphs Night Cap (Winter Ale - Jubleale clone)
Secondary: None
Bottle: None

View attachment ayup beer label (2).pdf

Well being in Portland you have a big advantage over a lot of us.
Not only are you and good beer country, you're in a city with huge amounts of resources for brewing.
Resources in the form of supplies and fellow brewers.
Good luck with your first big batch.

Good to have you! My biology background has definitely helped with the brewing- chemistry should be just as advantageous. How did a Yorkshireman end up in Portland? One imagines your fondness for hops will develop the longer you stick around.

Cheers to a happy brewday!

Awesome, if you are already posting on HBT, then I'm sure you've done your homework. A lot of people get into brewing a few batches and then get bored with it. It seems to me the guys, and gals, who stick with it get involved in the entire process. I guess what I mean is I don't just enjoy brewing, I love beer, I love building things and making my own equipment, I dig creating my own recipes and submitting the finished product in competitions. Being a chemist, I bet you'll like a few of these aspects of brewing...and a few others. Live long and brew often brother!

welcome to the mayhem. what part of Yorkshire are you from my entire family is from kirkbymoreside.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Yes it seems Portland is one of the places to be for sure, it was only a matter of time before I got sucked in to brewing. Actually beer is my 2nd love to football and getting a bad knee injury was a nice segway into brewing as my new hobby. I am a Huddersfield Town fan, so for those who asked where in Yorkshire, there is your answer....:). I came to Portland with my wife who I met in the UK, she was born in the UK but moved to CA when she was younger and got a green card, came back to UK to study and met me and she had to return or give up the GC so here we are. My ticket to the country was to go back to school and do my PhD in Chemistry at Portland State....phew life story over...:) Got to go get ready to brew now....!

Best

Ayup!
I'm a yorkshireman living in Russia [Barnsley & Western Siberia], good luck with everything, I've had a lot of good advice from this site and am enjoying the fruits of my labours now in a country stricken by bad beer! Next up: Russian Imperial Stout (of course!)

WOW! Us Yorkshire folk don't half get around :)

I looked Nizhnevartovsk up on google maps..... what takes you all the way to the middle of nowhere? I'm guessing oil??

There's a language school here so I spend most of my time teaching Russian oil execs how to speak reyt and arguing with my southern colleague about how best to pronounce the word 'bath'.

Ayup welcome to brewing. What did you do to your knee? I injured mine (Torn ACL and meniscus) over 20 years ago and it healed fine and I was able to do anything I wanted albeit with less range of motion and occasional pain. The older I got the worse it got. Don't put off surgical repairs as it will eventually get you. I had mine repaired 2 mos ago and it already hurts less. Especially when I'm into the home brew!

Regards,
Alan

Doc says it's a compromissed ACL (in addition to ITB syndrome that i definately have).

So it could be worse.....but im giving it 6-9months off to get the thing back to best with physio etc and im going to use the time to loose a 25lbs too and get in better general health....the new hobby is not helping LOL. Actually i can practice restraint with beer better than I can restrain myself on the field....:)

Ayup!

Just stumbled upon this post - here is another well travelled Yorkshireman! I hail from Barnsley but am now living in upstate New York. I just started home brewing, and am looking forward to the endless possibilities this new hobby will bring. I don't have enough friends to drink and share 5gallon brew with, so am concentrating exclusively on 1-2 gallon BIAB batches. Got a stout on the go right now, and planning on a mild ale to welcome in the Spring. Look forward to hearing more!

Ayup! I like how this turned into a "where av all t' Yorkshire brewin folk gone" thread! If your reading and your Yorkshire leave a reply!

Gareth: Send some my way, you know how cheap us Yorkshire folk are ;)
Blueassmonkey: It's close but I think you win the furthest travelled award...so far!

Back