Axis and Allies Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
I have a bit of an idea for a themed saison.

It'll be called Axis and Allies. Trying to incorporate an ingredient from each of the countries intimately involved in WWII.

Pilsner malt from Germany
Maris Otter malt from UK
Centennial hops for bittering from USA
Sorachi Ace hops from Japan for taste and aroma
French Saison yeast

I was thinking of adding some sort of spice from Italy during the last 15 min of the boil or so. Still can't think of anything to represent Russia.

Anybody have any ideas? As a last resort, I was going to add some Caramunich or similar to make it a red color and say that is the USSR contribution.

Well, borscht is a big deal in Russia. That's a beet soup. So maybe you could incoporate beets into the fermentables some how? They have a lot of sugar. You could probably roast them in an oven to gelatinize them, and then put them in the mash. Fair warning, though, it will make your wort reddish purple (mostly red).

As for Italy, maybe some sweet basil in secondary?

That's an idea. Use some beet sugar in the fermentables. I kind of like the idea of the red color coming through, too.

One of Cascade's parents was a russian hop, sribrinkia or something. I think hops direct was carrying them this year.

I use vodka in my airlock, but I like the idea of soaking something Italian in vodka. Maybe basil to go with the lemony Sorachi?

I think I am going to go with rosemary at bottling. The guy at my LHBS suggested it, as did The Mad Fermentalist. Both said it melds well with saison profiles. Recipe for five gallons is as follows:

OG: 1.044
32 IBU

5# German Pils
2.5# Crisp Maris Otter
1# Rye Malt

.4oz Centennial at 60mins
.5oz Sorachi Ace at 20mins
.5oz Sorachi Ace at 1min

Fermented with Wyeast3711 French Saison yeast.

Bottled with rosemary to taste

Back