Awesome yeast? Or retarded brewer? Lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khasta

Reaction score
Hey guys, tonight i swapped my ipa from primary to secondary so i can dry hop it and re use my yeast, its a wlp008 east coast ale yeast, it was on its second use from pure pitch, and man after one week, in an ipa of 1.070 OG, i had a clear an awesome yeast cake of like 3 inch tall, and a nice krausen still after one week, after the transfer i did the usual rinse to try and get the junk out of the yeast and save the best of the bestest, but after the 15min steady rest the cake was still all white homogene, no layers forming... ( it was a 65ibu ipa after all where did the hops go lol) anyways after i transfer and only keep the first third of the liquid i put it in the fridge to cool crash, bam another krausen and some sick layers forming out, is wlp008 just that great or im i just that retarded? Its my first time using it and im a new brewer, thats why im asking lol
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1490245707.726524.jpg
By the look of it is this a good botom layer or did i rinse my stuff like a noob?

don''t worry about the layering business... Look for the blog post by @woodlandbrew where he did cell counts... there's good yeast throughout the whole yeast layer. You don't need to get just the creamy white middle layer...

Decant the spent beer and split the whole "trub" layer into 16 oz jars... topped with distilled (or RO, or boiled and cooled) water.

Ya i was more blown away about the krausen actually!?!? Lol bit thanks for the link, it is exactly how i did rinse my yeast, i was mostly asking if anyone used east coast ale a lot? If Its how they usually deal with that yeast? I was looking if i either did anything very well! Or very wrong! Lol cause my result seemed Hulky!

It is best to keep the yeast under the spent wort. The spent wort will protect the cells walls from damage.

Was your beer at final gravity before you racked to secondary? Looks like it is still fermenting.

Latest posts

Back