Avoiding oxidation with berry wines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siletzspey

Reaction score
Despite keeping a minimal head-space in 500ml and 750ml glass bottles, and for the last 2 years adding k-meta at bottle up, I'm finding that my strawberry, raspberry and blackberry wines start to oxidize within a year. The wines take on a rusty orange tinge, and with the raspberry and blackberry, the inside of the bottle will get coated with a black layer.

A local expert says it's hard to avoid oxidation with strawberry wine.

Thanks for any recommendations.

--SiletzSpey

Despite keeping a minimal head-space in 500ml and 750ml glass bottles, and for the last 2 years adding k-meta at bottle up, I'm finding that my strawberry, raspberry and blackberry wines start to oxidize within a year. The wines take on a rusty orange tinge, and with the raspberry and blackberry, the inside of the bottle will get coated with a black layer.

A local expert says it's hard to avoid oxidation with strawberry wine.

Thanks for any recommendations.

--SiletzSpey

Make sure you keep 50 ppm of sulfites in the wine throughout the process, not just at bottling. It helps so much. Also, remember to rack "quietly" whenever needed, and add those sulfites at every other racking so that it binds with the wine so oxygen can't.

Back