Avoid Hot Side Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
I will be brewing my Red Ale tomorrow and I had a quick question. I am a partial boil extract brewer and I usually do 2 -2.5 gallon boils. After I am done with the boil what temperature do I have to let the wort cool to before I add the wort to my primary on top of 3 cold gallons of spring water to avoid hot side aeration? Or will the wort be fine to add right off the stove since it will be mixing with the 3 gallons of cold water and will not be "hot" long enough to qualify for hot side aeration? Just wanted to clear this up before tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Joe

I cool my wort down to 100°F before pouring on top of the cold water to finish bringing it down to 70°F.

Wild

Below 80f should do it but it is more importent to get the wort down to avoid shocking/killing the yeast. If you can get your wort down to 80f or less then you can pour into your fermenter as any air at that point will aid in aeration of the wort. If you boiled your topup water than you need to aerate your wort well in the fermenter before adding yeast.

Latest posts

Back