Avery Brewing- The Beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Anyone try this beer? I was just to the local liquor store and they were having a cool Avery Beer tasting upstairs. Adam Avery, the founder of Avery was there and chatting it up about the beers. The Beast is a 15%ABV Grand Cru. OG=1.134. Lots of different sugars as well as raisins and dates. I think it was the first grand cru I have ever tried, and it was very interesting. I only bought one bottle, but might go back for a six pack and let a few of them age. Very tasty and complex beer.

I only had a really small sample of it at the store and while it didnt come to mind while tasting, I do think it had a bit of a port wine/sweetish taste to it...Damn you and your questions...Now I am going to have to drink it.

i know this is late, but i just wanted to add that i have tried "THE BEAST" and i thought it was pretty amazing! i'm not a professional beer taster, but i would say it is VERY similar to the 120 minute. it is one that i wish was readily available where i'm at.

Worst American attempt at a Belgian I have ever tasted, at least the 2010 release was. More hot fusel alcohols than anything I have ever tasted before. Cheap vodka is smoother and easier to get down than this stuff.

The hog heaven is excellent. They call it a barley wine, but it's actually more of a double ipa.

DannPM said:
Worst American attempt at a Belgian I have ever tasted, at least the 2010 release was. More hot fusel alcohols than anything I have ever tasted before. Cheap vodka is smoother and easier to get down than this stuff.

Couldn't disagree more. You might have had a bad bottle

I have had it and its for sure an experience beer. Very sweet, high alcohol. Definite hints of dried fruits.

I've had more than a few different Avery beers. This state can't get any of them but everytime I see them when travelling I snag them. Always in heaven when I get the opportunity. Personally I rate Avery as one of the top 5 "holy grail" breweries i've been exposed to in the past 5 years. I'm sure i'm naieve and haven't seen everything but love everything i've tried.

davefleck said:
Couldn't disagree more. You might have had a bad bottle

I honestly hope so because you'd be crazy to put your label on something that tasted like I had. It was on clearance for like 3.99 when I got it, could be the reason...

I have a video review of it here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/epicbeerdude?feature=mhee#p/u/0/LPu7owkUh1o[/ame]

Great beer! Give it a year or 3 and its even better!!! Can't say this is meant to drink fresh. Dann, you should give it another try after it has some time! its hard to make a beer that is 15% and is good its first year!

Avery Brewing is, in my opinion, an innovator of beers. By far one of my favorites. All of their beers, with the exception of 4 - 5, are incredibly full bodied and unique. The Beast is a part of their "Demon" series, which includes Mephistopheles and Samael's. These are known as "monster" beers. If you are ever in Boulder, you MUST try Samael's and the "Eremita", the best sour I've ever had.

This is the beer my wife bought me for an anniversary present (along with two others 400 pound monkey & Black Jack Porter). It is aging (according to theirsite, it is cellerable for up to 10 years) and waiting for that special day for me to crack it open. I have had Samaels which is also in their demon series and that was a strong heavy oaked beer.

I had their Meph Addict (15% coffee imperial stout) while i was at the brewery two weeks ago. Pretty incredible.

Had a sip of one of these on tap the other night, and I'm still not sure what I think about it. Caught the complexity that they were going for, but it was hard to taste around the alcohol content.

This is the beer my wife bought me for an anniversary present (along with two others 400 pound monkey & Black Jack Porter). It is aging (according to theirsite, it is cellerable for up to 10 years) and waiting for that special day for me to crack it open. I have had Samaels which is also in their demon series and that was a strong heavy oaked beer.

Samael's I think I didn't age long enough. Tasted like pure hot alcohol in oak, almost undrinkable.

Mine was well over a year old and was still hotter than paint thinner. Imo they must used a disgusting strain of turbo yeast when they should have used a neutral wine strain. I'm honestly not sure how they got alcohol that hot, even my worst mead that was 17% abv was more drinkable at a younger age than this. Avery really ****ed up with this one.

Not trying to sound arrogant with that but even though they may be pros, sometimes your average joe can throw a single pass better than the worst of a pro quarterback.

Mine was well over a year old and was still hotter than paint thinner. Imo they must used a disgusting strain of turbo yeast when they should have used a neutral wine strain. I'm honestly not sure how they got alcohol that hot, even my worst mead that was 17% abv was more drinkable at a younger age than this. Avery really ****ed up with this one.

Never had any of these beers, but they would not be using a wine yeast to ferment these as most wine yeasts can not ferment a lot of the complex sugars with beer. And when using a wine yeast with beer, it is far from neutral. It's that hot because it's a lot of strain for beer yeasts to ferment these complex sugars up to that level of alcohol. They say these beers would probably be ageable for up to 10 years, but it sounds like they won't be drinkable until then.

Samael's I think I didn't age long enough. Tasted like pure hot alcohol in oak, almost undrinkable.

Yes, Samaels not aged can be VERY harsh if not aged. I learned that the hard way. Bought two bottles from the brewery during one of their parties and drank one maybe a month after I bought it and it was extremely hard to drink.

Andrewtherooster said:
Never had any of these beers, but they would not be using a wine yeast to ferment these as most wine yeasts can not ferment a lot of the complex sugars with beer. And when using a wine yeast with beer, it is far from neutral. It's that hot because it's a lot of strain for beer yeasts to ferment these complex sugars up to that level of alcohol. They say these beers would probably be ageable for up to 10 years, but it sounds like they won't be drinkable until then.

The bottle says they use a secondary strain in order to get that abv. If they are incrementally providing simple sugars, and at 16% they probably are, a wine or turbo yeast would work. The bottle I had listed all the sugars they used.

Its a shame that that Saucer is where it is, I just cant have a good time anywhere in Addison. We're at the Saucer on the Lake in Rockwall at least once a week, the environment is so much more relaxed and friendly.

I agree with the minority, I had a bottle and poured it down the drain. That was some nasty stuff! Maybe it was a bad bottle, but it was bad enough that I will never buy another one.

went to the flying saucer last night, had the beast on tap, and can confirm what others said: great flavors but way too much sharp alcohol. it was like two drinks in one: at first it's a lucious strong belgian, then it becomes 100-proof grain alcohol. it was frustrating: it's like someone set a beautiful meal in front of you with fine china and glassware, but swept it all away before you had a chance to sit down and enjoy. i have no doubt that a bottle of this stuff would be amazing in 3 to 5 years, but fresh it gets a pass from me.

Its a shame that that Saucer is where it is, I just cant have a good time anywhere in Addison. We're at the Saucer on the Lake in Rockwall at least once a week, the environment is so much more relaxed and friendly.
i thought the FS in addison was just fine. bartender was really nice, and i chatted with some really friendly people. i liked the couches. i haven't been to rockwall so i can't compare. i'm new 'round these parts, just here for business during the week. nice to know i have such an amazing beer selection so close to my hotel... almost makes up for not having access to homebrew.

Sounds like you had fun, which is good! Its a great beer bar in a really profitable location for them. If you happen to be in town on a Friday or Saturday night, go visit that same place/part of town again and tell me if you have the same experience.

Purchased a bottle from BevMo last year bc I liked the label. Found it to be overly sweet w/ a grain alcohol quality... I dumped the last half, cracked open an ale to cleanse the palate & saved the bottle. I find Steel Reserve more enjoyable. Would try round 2 though, perhaps my palate has developed more since then.

Purchased a bottle from BevMo last year bc I liked the label. Found it to be overly sweet w/ a grain alcohol quality... I dumped the last half, cracked open an ale to cleanse the palate & saved the bottle. I find Steel Reserve more enjoyable. Would try round 2 though, perhaps my palate has developed more since then.
when you do go for round 2, make sure it's aged at least 3 years. consensus seems to be that this stuff isn't very good when fresh.

Well they were out of the 2009 when I got there but they had the 2011 and I'll have to say that even though this is not a style that I'm particularly fond of I really enjoyed it. It didn't really have the fruity esters and phenols I associate with belgians (thankfully) but it did have the dried fruit taste. The aroma was just amazing. It was definitely alcohol hot but not something that bothered me at all.

The gem of the evening though had to be the Piglet Purgatory, which they describe as 1/2 Hog Heaven (Barleywine). Tasted llike a really good red IPA to me. I drank more of it than anything else.

Oh, wrong. Did I forget Maharaja? That is the most awesome beer I have ever tasted, yet! :drunk:

Back