Auuugh! Aerating into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is gonna suck. :( It was my first time racking into secondary (adding some vanilla to my stout), and my first time using an auto-siphon. I stuck my tubing on the siphon, leaving the big clip on the bottom. I then stuck the tubing in my carboy up to the clip, which left it a good foot or so above the bottom. Then I started the auto-siphon. I had transferred a good gallon or so before I noticed the nice head of foam in the carboy and remembered don't do that! So I stuffed the clip down into the carboy until the end of the tubing was below the top of the beer.

So, how badly have I screwed up? Is this now a batch of banana-vanilla stout? Will I have to let it age for two months before it's drinkable? I'm very bummed, as this is going to break my pipeline, so I'll probably have to fall back on commercial stuff until I get my next batch done (which I haven't even started yet).

I don't think you should worry too much. I've had similar things happen during transfer before and never noticed any problems.

It'll most likely be okay. If there's a problem it'll probably only be noticeable after a good amount of aging time. If you drink it young you won't notice.

Back