Autumn olive/silverberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone? I know people make jam from them, but I'm curious if anyone has made wine and if it's any good? I'm not sure how many pounds I'd need for a 5 gallon batch. They are about the size of a blueberry. Apparently they are a nuisance, and very very invasive and part of conservation is using the berries to prevent further spreading.

I'm not familiar with them, just want to say take a sample of leaves & berries to your county extension agent for proper plant ID before making anything to eat or drink from them. Better safe than sorry.
Regards, GF.

Yes. I make wine from them every year. Very tasty! They are Autum Olives. I eat them fresh as well. Kinda tart and sweet like a choke cherry. They make a white wine. All the red parts settle to the bottom with the silver spots setteling on that. White wine will be on top. Sometimes the silver spots stick to the sides of the carboy. The same happenes in you juice them. Very fun to watch:)
Five galleons of wine I use about 18# of berries. Lavin D47 yeast. I do add 1/4tsp grape tannin at start of ferment. Nutriants and yeast energizer. Peptic enzyme as well. The usuall additions.
If I am in a hurry I will heat the berries just to the point they pop open, saves time with crushing them. Just be sure to add plenty of peptic enzyme!

This is a very nice plant. It fixes nitrogen in the soil so other plants can use it. Often planted in orchards to bost fruit yeild. Dies off in under 20 years, often far less. Way more nutrishish then acai berries. For you non health nuts this makes the autom olive 1000 times better for you then anything else you can find to eat in any store.
It is listed on the invasive plants list, but it does not grow everywhere. It does not harm other plants or people, helps them is more like it! But it does reseed freely:) Pick when ripe, or the birds will clean off the bush!

Sorry about the spelling, the letters just refuse to order themselve!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Thank you for all of this info! I read before that they have triple the lycopene that tomatoes do. It's weird with how abundant they are, that they aren't harvested and used much. I'm not sure I'll have the time to gather 18#. Do you think that it would blend well with another juice, or even some kind of mead autumn olive hybrid?

I love blends. I will blend just about anything:) It's all good after a long hard day.
The Autom Olive does not have a strong flavor so blend it with something mild. I think even undertones may be noticable if blended with strong flavored fruit, but certainly not identifiabley so. It will just be a something more, an added complexity type of thing.
Or make a small batch. No need to make a full five galleons. One galleon samples are easy enough to do:)

Not many people pick them around here either. Birds get most of them. Probley they are too small for people to bother with. More for us!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back