Autosiphon help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I'm getting to transfer my first batch into a secondary, and I practiced using water. I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong, but my auto siphon does not seem to be working properly. I get the siphon going just fine, then it eventually starts pulling in air and sending lots of bubbles into the siphon and the receiving vessel. Is there a trick I am missing, or is it possible I have a faulty siphon? No way am I going to rack with all the air I am seeing in my tube!

as long as the secondary vessel is lower than the primary (primary on counter, secondary on the floor...) and you keep the siphon intake submerged, you should be okay. It is normal for the siphon to spit a little when the primary is almost empty, but you should get a bubble-free transfer as long as there is sufficient liquid in the vessel.

Sometimes I get a few bubbles near the bend in the siphon, but nothing like what you're describing. Check the seal on that thing and see if you have any cracks. Unless theres a crack in the clear plastic, it has to be the rubber seal.

also check to see if its clogged. I use to have one and it was suppose to be easier. The valve broke on me one day and I ended up getting stainless. Il never go back.

The only way this would happen is if you aren't keeping the end submerged, not keeping the receiving vessel lower than the primary or you have a leak somewhere. Put the secondary on the floor and the primary on the counter as the other poster said. Then place the auto-siphon into the primary and lower the tip to the bottom. You are doing a secondary so any yeast cake you inadvertently pick up will settle out there. Drop the hose into the secondary. Give three or four good pumps to the inner tube and it should flow just fine. You may see the occasional bubble going through but it's nothing to worry about unless you see a good stream of bubbles. If this happens check the area where the hose mounts to the tube to see if it or the plastic tube are cracked. If you are getting a siphon started your valve is fine and your lower gasket should be fine.

To troubleshoot keep in mind that any air being sucked in has to be from above the fluid level. This means anything lower than that level should be fine.

Latest posts

Back