Auto Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Ok, so I started fermenting in a 3 gallon glass carboy vs 1 gallon and the mini-3/8" auto siphon isn't long enough to siphon from the 3 gallon carboy. So I bought a longer 1/2" auto siphon which works fine and fills my 12 oz bottle quickly but leaves too much headspace. My question is, does someone make a 3/8" auto siphon that works for 3 gallon carboys? Thanks!

They make a longer 3/8" like the 1/2" one you bought. I have one and it works for 3 gallon and 5 gallon carboys.

Are you bottling directly from the carboy using the auto siphon (without a bottling bucket)? Just curious.

Are you putting the tubing into the bottle directly without using a bottling wand?

If so, I'd suggest a wand. You'll get the same headspace with each bottle using one. Plus, you won't need to buy another auto siphon. If you get one, I'd recommend the type with a spring tip. I like them better. Just remember to disassemble it each time to clean and sanitize it after using it.

If you are using a bottling wand, whatever sized autosiphon should be immaterial. The headspace left in the bottle is determined by the volume of the area that was occupied by the bottling wand. I attach my wand to the spigot of my bottling bucket. Raise the bottle until the wand bottoms out in the bottle, fill to the lip and lower the bottle to stop the flow of the beer. Cap and repeat....

All my transfers are from 6 gallon fermenters so, there is a 3/8" autosiphon and a 1/2". I don't use them for bottling so what they might do to headspace is not an issue. The 1/2 inch will drain a fermentation vessel at least 1/3 faster so it is my choice. My older 3/8" is in reserve.

Look here for ideas: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=94812

Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't very specific. Yep I bottle directly from a 3 gallon carboy and have been using a 1/2" auto siphon with a 1/2" spring loaded wand. The 1/2" wand leaves about two inches of headspace in the bottle compared to one inch with a 3/8" wand.

Now that I know about the longer 3/8" auto siphon, I'll buy one to use with the 3/8" wand I already have. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back