Auto Siphon stopped working.. oxidized in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
First time kegger, wondering if ive ruined my beer....

So ive been using the auto siphon for a while, and yesterday im starting the auto siphon and it seems to move beer on the initial pump but the flow is not working.. so I have to pump it a LOT to get all of the beer moved from the bucket to the keg. I noticed when I was done that there was some foam in the keg (could have been sanitizer, but im guessing it was mostly beer).

Now, I assume those bubbles in the foam hold oxygen. So, when I sealed it up I hit it with co2 and purged at least a dozen times from the pressure release valve. Then, a few hours later I did the same thing. My thought process was that if i did that enough, that oxygen would get pushed out. I dont know how long it takes for those bubbles to bust or if the co2 busts them via pressure... but i also dont know if ive done enough to get the oxygen out.

Have I ruined my beer? Should I do more purging today?

After doing some reading I think I may have figured out why the auto siphon wasn't working.. I had the keg and the bucket on the ground, which meant the keg was slightly higher than the bucket.. Gravity is a foul mistress :)

we'll send your dunce cap later :)

Also, I had my auto siphon stop working after 6 years of flawless service. Posted a similar question to yours, less the cruel mistress. It ended up resuming its flawless service. Here's why. There is a one way valve on the bottom of the auto siphon tube. If it gets stuck open or closed the initial pump does not correctly start the siphon. If this ever happens again, try soaking your entire auto siphon in starsan overnight.

Perfect, my head is a size 7 1/4 :)

I'll soak the auto siphon next time. I'm kegging again Sunday so at least if I make a mistake (likely) it will be a different one!

Back to the question. I would say the beer is very oxidized. It does take a while for it to get bad so burst carb it and drink it fast.

Thanks, I'll drink it as quick as I can :)

Do you think it will last longer since it's 9.8% abv and I'm keeping it at 37 degrees?

Do you think it will last longer since it's 9.8% abv and I'm keeping it at 37 degrees?

The colder it is, the longer it will take for the oxidation off flavors to develop.

Brew on :mug:

I had a leak in my autosiphon the last time I bottled. I watched in dismay as what seemed like an atmosphere's worth of oxygen was introduced to my beer. Sure that it was going to be ruined, I bottled it anyway.

It tastes awesome. Five weeks later and there isn't a hint of oxidation. I think your beer will be fine :mug:

I had a leak in my autosiphon the last time I bottled. I watched in dismay as what seemed like an atmosphere's worth of oxygen was introduced to my beer. Sure that it was going to be ruined, I bottled it anyway.

It tastes awesome. Five weeks later and there isn't a hint of oxidation. I think your beer will be fine :mug:

Thanks epos7, that does sound like what I was seeing. I've got it sitting at 40 degrees while it carbs. Even flat it tasted great, so hoping for the best!

Last edited by a moderator:

When you bottled the beer, you added priming sugar, the yeast with the priming sugar "consumed" the minimal oxygen added, thus avoiding oxidation. If you hold on to several bottles, in several months, it might be more apparent.

When you bottled the beer, you added priming sugar, the yeast with the priming sugar "consumed" the minimal oxygen added, thus avoiding oxidation. If you hold on to several bottles, in several months, it might be more apparent.

hmm, now im wondering.. i *thought* that active yeast would first multiply based on the amount of oxygen (Aerate) and then consume the sugar. so, im confused as to why it would matter if there was sugar (or any other fermentable in there)... since the oxygen absorbtion / cell multiplication happens first?

theoretically in my keg the yeast should absorb the introduced oxygen as well, yes?

Right, but conventional wisdom is that the yeast can't consume *that* much oxygen quickly enough to prevent oxidation. That's why we try to avoid introducing oxygen at bottling. Based on my experience, conventional wisdom may be a little alarmist when it comes to oxidation, though it's likely wise to avoid it when possible.

I am drinking the "oxidized" half of the batch first to avoid any potential long-term oxidation.

hmm, now im wondering.. i *thought* that active yeast would first multiply based on the amount of oxygen (Aerate) and then consume the sugar. so, im confused as to why it would matter if there was sugar (or any other fermentable in there)... since the oxygen absorbtion / cell multiplication happens first?

theoretically in my keg the yeast should absorb the introduced oxygen as well, yes?

It's a complicated relationship that's hard to predict.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/how_yeast_use_oxygen

To play devil's advocate to some of what is written here: I currently have an oxidized ESB from simply getting bubbles in my auto syphon from a loose connection. So, it does happen. Maybe not every time, but sometimes...

Latest posts

Back