Auto siphon stiff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deghisagorah

Reaction score
Ive got an auto siphon and noticed that the seal between the cane and the rubber thing at the bottom of the cane was not airtight, there were bubbles getting inside the siphon.
So I tried to hotglue the 2 parts together to eliminate the leak (not sure if it was a good idea but hot glue was all ive got), when i tried to pump it the hotglue thats ALREADY cured started to get stuck on the wall and when i pulled the cane up it smeared the hotglue all over the chamber, I have no idea that would happen cause the glue was already cured, it seems like the hotglue worked like an eraser and stuck itself at the walls of the siphon chamber, now the damn thing is stiff as heck, I can still use the siphon but pumping the cane is now hard and ive actually cut myself because of trying to start a siphon, any suggestions on what to do (cant buy a new siphon), I tried rubbing alcohol and still didnt work seems like it stuck itself real good in there.

It sounds like you've buggered it. Wish there was a better answer! Time to install a spigot on your fermenter instead? Or learn how to make a manual siphon as home brewers used to do before the auto type was available.

As an aside, albeit too late, these are not high precision instruments. The seal is not going to be totally airtight. But it's tight enough to force the beer out once it's submerged in liquid, which is all it's designed to do.

Last edited:
Hm, well the auto siphon fixed itself.... Somehow so Huraaah, and yes ive actually got one of those water gallons that has got a spigot near the bottom, i thought using the spigot would introduce oxygen... Turns out after a bit of research its another way of bottling.. -_- should've done a better job at looking.

Thanks tho for the suggestion :D

and remember to store your autosiphon apart, disassembled, so the seal "relaxes"
That! ^

When the rubber seal fails, the inside tube can be used as a racking cane. If the seal failure is permanent (torn, worn, dried out), you may as well cut that part off and smooth the cut.
Just train yourself in how to prime the cane, using a bucket of water (or Starsan) before committing it to wort or beer. It may take a few times to get the routine.

Latest posts

Back