auto siphon question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnySardonic

Reaction score
So I did a couple searches on this topic, but i'm on my phone and the search function doesn't seem to be as accurate as the computer version. So my apologies if an answer is easily accessible already.

Two batches ago, when racking to bottles, I used my auto siphon and tubing straight out of their Starsan bath. I was getting a lot of air bubbles in the tubing, and it seemed like the problem was caused by the wet seal between the siphon and tube. Last batch, I let everything sit for ten minutes before using, so they weren't as wet, but the connection was still letting air in. keeping the flow going was a problem.

Should I let everything dry completely? I've read that once the Starsan dries all the way, it is no longer working. Should I push the tubing past the 90 degree angle of the auto siphon? Any help is appreciated

Mine does the same. I just pour some star san down the top of the siphon so it doesn't pull air in. Not sure if it is the best idea.

I had one that did the same. I just took a turkey baster and squirted some wort above the seal...... no bubbles.

Mine did the same thing. It now permanently sits in the back of the closet.

Don't siphon so fast!!!!

Many folks have this same problem. The deal is, the faster your siphon runs, the more negative (sucking) pressure it will develop, which leads to air being sucked in around the seal. Ideally the bottom of your fermentor should be * just * above the final height the beer will be at in the new vessel. This insures a nice, gentle, albeit a bit slow, transfer that minimizes the chances of getting any air bubbles.

Mine did/does that. To fix this issue I took 2 hose clamps to seal the hose on the racking cane. One behind the other. (I am assuming this is the wet seal you are speaking of)

Now my siphon hose stays attached to the auto-siphon, I just soak it in star-san and siphon a bunch of star-san through it before I use it. Problem solved. No more bubbles!

landshark said:
Mine did/does that. To fix this issue I took 2 hose clamps to seal the hose on the racking cane. One behind the other. (I am assuming this is the wet seal you are speaking of)

Now my siphon hose stays attached to the auto-siphon, I just soak it in star-san and siphon a bunch of star-san through it before I use it. Problem solved. No more bubbles!

I dont know about the OP, but mine was where the bottom black seal on the racking cane came in contact with the tube. It would pull in air there.

I did purchase a 1/2" auto siphon because my 3/8" one leaked and it doesn't have the same problem and transfers the beer MUCH faster. Maybe what the other poster mentioned about the negative pressure has something to do with it.

I use 5/16" tubing with my 3/8" auto siphon and have never had a problem in 3-1/2 years.

The tubing fits very snugly, but can be removed fairly easily when I'm done if I pour some hot tap water on it to soften it.

Awesome guys, thanks for all the advice. I'll try attaching the tube to the auto siphon before I drop them in the Starsan. And, good advice about the height above the bottling bucket. I usually have a foot or two gap.

The HBT community rocks!

Mine did that and I replaced the hose and now it works faster then ever and I can siphon a 5 gallon batch in no time.

Same idea here but I used cable ties; since the hose is silicon, it still comes off the auto siphon, but the cable ties stay on the hose.

Back