Auto Siphon bathtime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
Hiya...

I'm going to be breaking out my auto siphon for the first time. Anyone have some helpful advice as to how to ensure that all parts of the siphon are sanitized? I will be using StarSan.

I'm just concerned about the inside of the main tube vs. the racking cane, etc.

Many thanks!

You should take the two parts and splash startsan on them, then put the siphon together, connect the tubing and pump the enough starsan from the bucket to fill the siphon up, then leave it until you are ready to rack.

O nice...

so there will in fact be a very small amount of the sanitzing solution (water and StarSan) in the bottling bucket if I understand that correctly? I am guessing that wont hurt a thing.

I use a wallpaper tray for my Auto siphon, long spoon, etc. Works like a champ and does not take a great deal of Starsan solution.

Aahhh.. ya I heard about using a wallpaper tray... I think that will be next quick purchase :D

I've owned it for years, but the wall paper tray tip won't work for me because I've never removed the tubing from it.

I just rinse it off with hot water after use. The trick is to not let it sit around when dirty/used. Clean it with hot water right away...done. That's all I ever do to it.

You need to store all the parts apart. If you store them assembled the seal will collapse and dry that way. Unassembled it will keep it's natural shape.

I keep 5 gals of SS in a primary bucket all the time.

Prior to use I will wet each end in the bucket and assemble the syphon and run some SS through the tubing and let it sit there.

When I get ready to place it in the primary I will disassemble the parts and place the outer tube in the bucket then insert the inner tube to start the process.

DJCalico said:
so there will in fact be a very small amount of the sanitzing solution (water and StarSan) in the bottling bucket if I understand that correctly? I am guessing that wont hurt a thing.

That's the nicest thing about Starsan, you don't need to worry about it contacting your beer. Somewhere on here is the story of a guy who accidentally left a half-gallon or so in his keg, then racked onto it. Beer came out fine, or so he said! (Don't try this at home though...)

+1 on the wallpaper tray, best buck-fifty I ever spent.

This is what I use:
sanitube.jpg

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/sanitube.html

I havent' even tried taking it apart, I'm guessing that the end cap comes off to allow the racking cane/inner tube to come out.

Really appreciate all the tips. Until yesterday I was worried that the auto siphon would be my only item that could contaminate.

:ban:

I usually sanitize the vessel I'm racking into by filling it with one gallon of santizing solution and shaking the vessel a few times. When I use my autosiphon to do the transfer, I thread all the tubing into the vessel, and drop the AS in. I pump it to fill everything with solution. Then I hold my hand over the opening and shake it to splash sanitizer on the outside tube of the autosiphon. Done.

I do like Lustreking's sanitizer saving PVC gadget though. I might have to try that.

Are you sure you have the same autosiphon everyone is talking about? What end cap? You just pull the center racking cane out of the larger tube through the gaping hole at the top. You're not talking about that canister looking thing that you attach to your tubing right?

I'll have to check when I get home as to whether or not there is anything blocking the top.

Unfortunately I'm at work yearning to taste my first batch lol.

Back