Austin Homebrew Recipe Misprint - Help with hop addition, Brewing Now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostinthe_trees

Reaction score
So, this is my first post, though I've been lurking for awhile, soaking it in and learning a lot! This is my fifth batch (all mini-mash, AHS) - it is my first IPA. I just started my boil and added the bittering hops (1oz. Summit). The kit came with 1 oz. summit, 1 oz. Columbus, and 1 oz. Cascade. The instructions say to bittering (summit) hops, then 1 oz. Columbus for the last 15 min., but no aroma hops ?!? This is obviously a mistake, as there are Cascade hops right here. These must be aroma hops, right? I know I could call AHS, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to make my first post and get some feedback from you all. If it is obvious that these are aroma hops let me know.. If you have any other suggestions regarding the timing of hop addition (with the available hops listed above) let me know, but quickly - only 50 min left in boil.

Grain bill was:

2lb 2-Row Malt
1lb Crystal 75L Malt

Extract:
5lb Extra Pale Extract
1lb Extra Light DME

I also added the 1% alcohol boost.

This is the Anniversary IPA. Purchased on sale for $20, greenbelt yeast revived from plate (first time recovering yeast from growing agar library!).

Thanks in advance, folks.

- Michael

What is the IBU of the beer. Usually if its not mentioned in the boil process it is used for dry hopping in primary or secondary. The 15 min hop addition is for the aroma.

They could be for dry hopping. Any chance you'll add the extra hops to primary (or secondary, if that's your style) about a week before you bottle?

I don't know what they are intended for but I would throw them in somewhere at 5 to zero and then get more hops to dry hop with. That doesn't seem to be enough hops to me for an IPA.

The first two hops he is using has a high alpha content. It is my experience that when its not mentioned its used for dry hopping. Most IPA are dry hopped to get nose on the beer.

You are right. 5 minuets or even 15 min would not add and significant bitterness to beer. It is for dry hopping. :ban:

So, before I go making AHS look bad, I have to confess that I did not finish reading the instructions before posting. :drunk: The hops are for dry hopping.

Two things:

Without really knowing much about selecting hops and never having brewed an IPA, this seems like too few hops to me, too.

If I add the hops to the primary (sometimes I secondary to free up Primary but did not plan to for this one) and I primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy, will the hops be utilized by just adding them to the top (i.e. not stirring in)?

Thanks again and sorry for the false alarm.

So, before I go making AHS look bad, I have to confess that I did not finish reading the instructions before posting. :drunk: The hops are for dry hopping.

Two things:

Without really knowing much about selecting hops and never having brewed an IPA, this seems like too few hops to me, too.

I believe the estimated IBU's are 44, this is still within in style and will lead to a somewhat hoppy IPA with a nice malt backbone.

If I add the hops to the primary (sometimes I secondary to free up Primary but did not plan to for this one) and I primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy, will the hops be utilized by just adding them to the top (i.e. not stirring in)?

Thanks again and sorry for the false alarm.

I am assuming these are pellets. You can toss them in loose, or you can use a hop bag. Tossing them in loose may lead to a little bit more sludge at the bottom of the fermentor, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Don't worry about stirring them in.

Latest posts

Back