Austin homebrew hops pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
I am looking to order some ingredients for a brew tonight or Monday to brew next weekend. Austin is having a sale on a package of hop pellets 4 oz each of galena warrior summit and progress for $19. I am thinking of doing a white/wheat ipa and ordering this along with some base grains and maybe a "base" hop that some/all of these would compliment. I am a big hop head but still learning how to build profiles. Anyone got any good suggestions?

I'm not a fan of any of those hops, so I wouldn't know where to use what in an IPA, but I can give you a basic rule of thumb I use for hopping an IPA; shoot for ~50 IBU from your bittering shot. Then load up for flavor and aroma during the last 15 mins of the boil. I like to do additions at 15, 10, 5, 0 or something like that, and I like to let that 0 min shot steep for ~10-20 mins before cooling, more aroma and flavor. Don't really worry about IBU from the late adds, just go big, and try to keep the total IBU for the beer around ~70-80. (all IBU I listed using the Rager scale) Dry hop big, couple ozs for big IPA aroma. I'd guess you'd want to use warrior or summit for bittering and the others late again, not a fan of those hops mainly for their aromatics, but using that formula always gets me a nice, bitter, hoppy IPA. :mug:

Thinking of bittering with the warrior then getting some centennial to use with the summit at like 15-10-5-0. Debating on a Belgian style base malt with some wheat/2row/oat at like 50/40/10 percentages.

I love centennial hops for flavor/aroma! That'd be a great choice for a white IPA. I like the wheat/2 row idea, not sure about the oats, but that's just me. Personally, I'd split that last 10% over some light caramel and maybe some biscuit/victory if you want a little more bread-y malt flavors. ~50% wheat, ~40% American 2-row, ~7% caramel 10-40, ~3% biscuit/victory with around 70 IBU sounds like one tasty beer. You could even go higher on the wheat (or 2-row) if you don't want any caramel malt flavors.

Thinking the oats will just add a little creaminess to the overall mouth feel and not really a lot in terms of flavor. It's a work in process I'll post a recipe later once I settle on something.

Thinking the oats will just add a little creaminess to the overall mouth feel and not really a lot in terms of flavor. It's a work in process I'll post a recipe later once I settle on something.

I was thinking the same thing about the oats. If you like that, go for it, it'd be good. I like my IPA to be dry and crisp, so I wouldn't. Either way, a white IPA with centennial hops would be very nice.

Back