Auber 2352 Suddenly Reading 10* Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spellman

Reaction score
I have been using my electric brewery for about a year and a half now, and it has been working very smoothly and great. I was brewing a beer this morning and noticed my mash temp kept rising, so I kept adding ice to cool it back down, then it happened again, and again. I got a thermometer out and read the temps to see what was going on. The mash tun was correct, but the hlt was 10* warmer than what the pid was reading. I have not changed any settings (I had written out what they were a while ago and double checked). Anyone ever had this problem before? I am using an rtd sensor on the outflow. I find it's odd that it is 10* on the nose. I did calibrate them a while back and mine were close enough that I didn't need to do any changes. However I did set my hlt to -.6* to account for the heat loss through tubing and pumps. That kept my mlt dead on with what I set my hlt for. My new setting is +9.4 and is now holding correctly. I'd rather not have to buy a new $35 sensor if I don't have to.

Did some more testing while I was still mashing yesterday. I noticed if I plugged into a different sensor it would still need the correction, which meant that it was something with the pid. I opened the case to have a peek inside, heard a few clicks as I did. The pid was getting only an intermittent signal from the sensor. I suspect one of the spade connectors might be loose inside. All seemed to work fine after a jiggle, the temp went back to normal as well! Problem solved case closed, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Back