Atwood Speakeasy Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
So I wanted to come up with a summer ale that is nice and easy to drink as well as very refreshing on hot summer days. I have made a pretty phenomenal Blue Moon clone that turned out great but I wanted to tweek the recipe a bit but keep it along the same lines as the Blue Moon Clone recipe. I thought I would substitute the orange peel for lemon peel and maybe use a slightly different hop variety. Below is the recipe I came up with.

Any ideas, comments, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also if it's not too much to ask would anybody mind entering this into beersmith or something similar to get me an idea of IBU's, SRM and ABV...Thank you in advance!

-5 GALLON BOIL-

FERMENTABLES
6 lbs Briess Wheat LME
3.3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME

SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb Flaked Oats (Boiled 60 min)
1 lb White Wheat (steeped 20 min)
8 oz. Carapils (steeped 20 min)
8 oz. Honey Malt (steeped 20 min)
1 oz. Crushed Coriander (10 min)
1 oz. Fresh Lemon Zest (5 Min)

1 oz. Vanguard Hops (60 min) (similar to German Hallertauer)
.5 oz. Amarillo Hops (Flameout) (as you know, a nice citrusy hop)

Does anybody have an opinion on this recipe? I will be brewing on Sunday and just thought I would bounce it of a few of you for piece of mind.

I was just curious on some of the specialty grains if anybody has used the honey malt and/or steeped white wheat...any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great weekend everybody!!

Looks like a pretty tasty beer, nice and refreshing on a hot summer day.

Still a newbie to Beer Smith, but I ran it through and came up with this. Only thing I didn't input was a yeast since you didn't have one listed.

ABV 6.81%
IBU 17.2
SRM 9.7

Best of luck with your brewing, be sure to keep us updated.

Well this recipe is coming out STRONG!!! When I racked to the secondary, I measured over 8% ABV. So much for easy drinking...

I also made the Lemon/Coriander tea and added those ingredients directly to the secondary. I think I will use brown sugar to prime and bottle it tonight. I am liking the taste of this beer and I had to change the name to Summer Slapper since it is so strong.

I had to install a blow off tube because the krausen was getting into the airlock. Lots of activity...

SummerSlapper.jpg

Back