Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thethirstyweasel

Reaction score
I recently brewed a mild its posted here:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=545120
OG was 1.040 and when I racked the gravity was @ 1.006. I'm using WY1318, which attenuates 71-75%. I mashed this @ 156F for 60 min so I was expecting something 1.012 or so. I do single infusion/batch sparge and get 70% efficiency consistently.My mash ratio is 1.3. The fermentation, no starter straight from smack pack,15hr lag, I use yeast nutrients, every batch, was normal temp 62F-68F degrees very thick krausen,was probably finished on day 5. The hydrometer sample tasted great, sweet but clean. Its not that big a deal really as I generally like my beers a bit on the dry side, I'm just wondering why. I really don't think its a wild yeast. I think it may be a procedural thing. I don't mash out so to speak as after I take my first runnings, I'll batch sparge @ 172F, but my sparge water for whatever reason, was slow to come to temperature. So I'm setting there with first runnings drained waiting an extra 30 minutes heating the sparge water. Would this account for the increase in attenuation? Thermometer is calibrated.
Thanks,
Weez

Yes. If you have active enzymes sitting in wort, they will continue to break apart the larger sugars and make a more fermentable wort. That is really the purpose of a mash out - to raise the temp high enough that you denature the enzymes and lock in the sugar mix.

Yes. If you have active enzymes sitting in wort, they will continue to break apart the larger sugars and make a more fermentable wort. That is really the purpose of a mash out - to raise the temp high enough that you denature the enzymes and lock in the sugar mix.

Thanks Bill, this is exactly what I was thinking. I've never done a mash out, batch sparging but usually I've got my sparge water ready @170F+. I also did a really slow runoff which I think exasperated the problem. I've done slow batch run offs and fast ones and it seems my extraction efficiency is actually better when I go fast I just don't get as clear of wort, however, I really am beginning to believe this is not very important.
Cheers,
Weez

Back