attenuation % question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I just bottled and the OG was 1053 i added 10 oz of dextrose at high krausen.. dont know how many points that added..when i checked the gravity before adding priming sugar i was at 1003..how much attenuation percent did i achieve?

What's your volume? Dextrose has 46 ppg, meaning if you added one pound of dextrose to one gallon of water, you'd have an SG of 1.046.

If you added the ten ounces (0.625 pounds) to 5 gallons of beer, that's 46*.625 / 5 = 5.8 extra gravity points. So if you measured the OG as 1.053, it's actually 1.059 including the sugar.

If you went from 1.059 to 1.003, that's (59-3)/59 = 95% AA. That's a very high attenuation, even considering the sugar addition. What temperature did you mash at? What yeast did you use? Have you checked your hydrometer?

What's your volume? Dextrose has 46 ppg, meaning if you added one pound of dextrose to one gallon of water, you'd have an SG of 1.046.

If you added the ten ounces (0.625 pounds) to 5 gallons of beer, that's 46*.625 / 5 = 5.8 extra gravity points. So if you measured the OG as 1.053, it's actually 1.059 including the sugar.

If you went from 1.059 to 1.003, that's (59-3)/59 = 95% AA. That's a very high attenuation, even considering the sugar addition. What temperature did you mash at? What yeast did you use? Have you checked your hydrometer?

I mashed @147*F, wy1388 yeast 3L starter..I undershot my OG..i was trying to get an OG of 1069 for a BGSA..yes i checked my hydrometer with plain water its @1.000..sample tasted good and dry like a young duvel but im thinking that once carbed i will have very poor head retention cause of the low mash high AA maybe im wrong hopefully.. 95% AA WOW
thank you

I should have asked what style beer! Since that's for a Belgian Golden Strong, you did everything right. You want the extra high attenuation and low FG, that's exactly to style. I'll say you nailed it. Carb it up nice and high and let it age for a while before you try it. :mug:

I should have asked what style beer! Since that's for a Belgian Golden Strong, you did everything right. You want the extra high attenuation and low FG, that's exactly to style. I'll say you nailed it. Carb it up nice and high and let it age for a while before you try it. :mug:

Thanks alot..yeah i carbed it to 3.5 volumes.. after 3 weeks of carbing..Im gonna let it sit for a few months in the fridge before i start sampling and serving..:mug:

Thanks alot..yeah i carbed it to 3.5 volumes.. after 3 weeks of carbing..Im gonna let it sit for a few months in the fridge before i start sampling and serving..:mug:

Why are you going to let it sit for a few months in the fridge?

I'm figuring you are wanting it to 'mature'. Colder temperatures slows everything down. At fridge temperatures the yeast shutdown; what do you think is going to work on the beer to develop changes? Store at room temp to age a beer.

1.003 is pretty good. I'd be happy with that.

Why are you going to let it sit for a few months in the fridge?

I'm figuring you are wanting it to 'mature'. Colder temperatures slows everything down. At fridge temperatures the yeast shutdown; what do you think is going to work on the beer to develop changes? Store at room temp to age a beer.

1.003 is pretty good. I'd be happy with that.

Moortgat does it... im just following them

Back