Attenuation Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousFishes

Reaction score
I brewed two different batches on National Homebrew Day, both of which are now kegged. My Brown came out as expected while the ESB attenuated poorly and I have no idea why. Details:

My "Sharktooth Extra Special Biter" recipe:
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1121622/sharks-tooth-extra-special-biter

And "Into the Abyss Brown Ale":
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1121697/into-the-abyss-brown

I hit the OG numbers for each. I used the same yeast for both batches, WLP013, Wyeast London Ale. I created a 3L starter the night before and pitched at high krausen, splitting the same starter between both batches. Each had visible and rigorous airlock activity after ~6 hours.

They were both fermented in my recently acquired True GDM-10 according to the Brulosophy Ale profile as I have a Black Box STC-1000+ controlling temps:

FermentationChamber.png

3 day fermentation at 66*
.5 day free rise to 70*
3 day attenuation/diacetyl rest
2.5 day ramp down to 33*
1 day cold crashed at 33* and fined with gelatin
2 days continuing crash at 33* prior to packaging

The Brown FG was 1.018, just above the 1.017 forecast from Beersmith.
The ESB came in at 1.025, well above the 1.015 forecast from Beersmith!!

I didn't (and almost never do) take a FG reading prior to packaging, so it was a discovery when racking from fermenter to keg.

The ESB is supposed to come in at an SRM of 13, but it looks very similar to the Brown which is at a 25 SRM. The ESB is on the right, Brown on the left:

SideBySideInDim.jpg

SideBySideInLight.jpg
Fortunately, to my palate, the ESB isn't cloyingly sweet, kind of like an Amber/Brown, so definitely not a dumper. But not at all what it was meant to be.

So... given that I hit mash temps, both beers were from the same actively fermenting starter and maintained at fermentation temps in the wheelhouse for the yeast, I don't understand the huge under-attenuation of the ESB and the dramatic difference in color from design to actual.

Any ideas?

I can't find any smoking gun... Both recipes are very similar. I'm guessing the ESB may not have been aerated as much, and may have required more time to ferment out.

It is puzzling. You've got about 18% crystal in both beers, which is a bit much IMO, and definitely for an ESB.

Did you weigh the grains yourself? Unless an error was made, the ESB should be much lighter in color, and attenuate as much as the Brown. Now 6.5 days may not be enough to ferment out. I'd give them 2 weeks at least.

The only thing I can see to explain the attenuation so far, the bucket in the back may have been a little colder than the one by the door.

It is puzzling. You've got about 18% crystal in both beers, which is a bit much IMO, and definitely for an ESB.

Did you weigh the grains yourself? Unless an error was made, the ESB should be much lighter in color, and attenuate as much as the Brown. Now 6.5 days may not be enough to ferment out. I'd give them 2 weeks at least.

The only thing I can see to explain the attenuation so far, the bucket in the back may have been a little colder than the one by the door.

I agree with everything here ^

Id say needs more air circulation in the cooler maybe its not adequate? And longer than 6.5 Days next time... 10 days to 2 weeks minimum for my brews

The ESB recipe originated as a Left Hand Sawtooth Clone, with nominal changes by me to account for ingredient availability and personal preference. see the Brewers notes here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2180194&postcount=3

Sawtooth is one of my fav beers, ergo the "Sharktooth" name.

I did not weigh the grains, but was present and participating while the LHBS proprietor did so.

The temp schedule has done me well up until this brew day.

I hope your theory of door proximity doesn't prove true as I have a double batch of IPA fermenting in separate buckets right now! Split the batch between London Ale III and British Ale II. Thanks for any other ideas!!

Back