Attempt at priming with gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenks829

Reaction score
I attempted to prime my last beer with gyle.

I have failed before I even made it to bottling day.

I stored some of my unfermented wort in beer bottles to be used on bottling day to carb the beer; the bottles were capped just as you would when you bottle beer.

The bottles became pressurized and one exploded. When I noticed the broken bottle, I began slowly opening the rest of the bottles to release any pressure. Let me tell you, these puppies were SCREAMING foam. I cannot imagine the pressure that must have been inside. They were forcefully pushing foam for 15-20 seconds. The lid on one even resembled a mushroom.

My initial thought is an infection of some sort because two of the bottles were fine. When I opened them, there was no pressure and they smelled like wort. The pressurized bottles looked like some sort of funky beer when poured into a glass.

Does anyone else prime their beers with unfermented wort? If so, what is your process. I will briefly explain mine below.

After I open a homebrew and pour it into a glass, I rinse the bottle out to remove any sediment/yeast. Then I spray the inside of the bottle with a few shots of Starsan and cover with a small piece of aluminum foil and place in my garage until bottling day. I feel the Starsan will kill anything that wants to grow inside the bottle and the foil cover will prevent any new nasties from finding their way into my empty bottles. On bottling day I take 50 or so of these bottles, remove the foil and place them in the dishwasher and run them through a cycle with no soap. Then bottle my beer. I have never had any bottle bombs <knock wood> or noticeable infections.

I recently learned of priming beers with unfermented wort and I wanted to try it. I had no mason jars or anything else of the sort to store the unfermented wort in....but I did have empty beer bottles. So I filled up 4 empty bottles with the wort. The only difference from my usual bottling procedure was I DID NOT run those 4 bottles through the dishwasher. Instead, I went to the garage, took 4 empty aluminum foil covered bottles, rinsed them out with some Starsan and filled them with wort. Three weeks later and I am picking up shards of glass in my basement.

I have only been brewing for 10 months and this was my first attempt at gyle. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am very acceptable to criticism, my feelings will not be hurt if something I say/do seems wrong.

I have primed with gyle on many occasions. I have never had the problem you describe. I calculate how much gyle i need to save and I put it in a jar and refrigerate it. The refrigeration will halt any significant fermentation, but the jar has also been cleaned and then sanitized with starsan right before putting the gyle in it.

The only flaw I see with your process is that you need to use the starsan right before using the bottle rather than right after drinking out of it...

PS - is there any possibility you bottled unfermented wort that had yeast pitched to it first? I can't imagine unfermented wort creating a bottle bomb without a specific addition of yeast...

Thanks for the reply JMSetzler!

One thing to note is that I did rinse out with Starsan before I put the unfermented wort in the bottle. I am certain that I took the unfermented wort before I pitched the yeast. I cannot get my head around how these bottles became pressurized. I take that back....an infection could explain it but I've never had a sanitation issue before. I wanted to put my question out to see if there was any aspect I was missing or process I did wrong.

You did say that after you take some gyle, you put it into a jar and refrigerate it. Is there a reason for the refrigeration or is that simply a good storage place for you?

One more question I have is when you calculate how my gyle you need, do you take the beer style into consideration? I found one formula for calculating the amount of gyle needed to carbonate beer but it is based on volume of beer and starting gravity. But I don't see anything related to volumes of CO2. How do you adjust went carbonating a strout vs a wheat beer?

Thanks for the reply JMSetzler!

You did say that after you take some gyle, you put it into a jar and refrigerate it. Is there a reason for the refrigeration or is that simply a good storage place for you?

One more question I have is when you calculate how my gyle you need, do you take the beer style into consideration? I found one formula for calculating the amount of gyle needed to carbonate beer but it is based on volume of beer and starting gravity. But I don't see anything related to volumes of CO2. How do you adjust went carbonating a strout vs a wheat beer?

I store mine in the refrigerator to keep it from going bad. If there are any microbial beasties in the wort, they will remain dormant at the cooler temperatures and absence of light. When it is reintroduced to the fermented wort, there should be no problems.

I am not a stickler of style. I don't pay that close attention to CO2 volumes, and I tend to work closer to higher volumes anyway. If you want to work within style specifics, you might be better off using corn sugar or moving to kegging where you can take specific control of those numbers.

Thanks a lot for you input. I have an American Pale Ale to brew this weekend and I am going to give this method of priming another shot. As far as the CO2 volume of my beer, I am too new of a brewer to really understand/notice/appreciate much of a difference. I guess I was just asking to see if there were any major aspects to note.

Thanks again for all your help. Happy brewing!

Back