Atlanta breweries/beer/restaurants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris0879

Reaction score
Heading to Atlanta in the fall for business. Any breweries, beer bars, or restaurant recommendations. Will be staying near Piedmont Park. I have never been to Atlanta and have no idea of the beer culture besides sweet water. Also. Is this area safe?

Orpheus is within a short walk of Piedmont Park if I remember correctly. I'm in Alpharetta twice a year but have yet to venture out toward other areas. If you get North toward Alpharetta, Jeckyll Brewing is there and Hop Alley Brew Pub is in "downtown" Alpharetta.

When I lived in Atlanta in the late 90s, SweetWater was about all I knew as "local" so that doesn't help much.

As for restaurants, Taco Mac is one of my go to places when I'm in town because the food is decent and the beer selections are vast. Multiple locations in and around Atlanta Metro

I was just out there for work a few weeks ago, but over in Alpharetta. If you get the chance and happen to like IPA, check out Basement IPA by Scofflaw. It was my favorite local beer I tried. The beers from Monday Night Brewing were pretty good too.

Go to Eventide, Wild Heaven, Red Brick, Three Taverns (all breweries) Wrecking Bar, 5 Seasons, Max Lager, Cypress Pint & Plate, Brick Store, many more!!!!

+1 for wrecking bar especially if your a foodie!! Last time I went we had the charred octopus tenticals, beef heart tartar and rabbit "wings". It was great plus the beers were awesome I got a growler of juice willius to go...
Yippi kye a. :mug:

I lived in Midtown by the park for many years.

Here are some great bars listed by neighborhood. Asterisks indicate that you'd probably need a car to get there.

Decatur: Brick Store, Twain's
Cabbagetown*: 97 Estonia, Carroll St. Cafe (has Chimay on tap)
Little Five Points (not to be confused with non-little Five Points, which is downtown): The Porter
East Atlanta Village*: Graveyard Tavern, The Earl (dive-y)

I actually didn't like any bars in Midtown specifically, but if you can make it a little east, the Earl and, especially, the Bookhouse (named after the location in Twin Peaks) are pretty great.

Also, yes, Piedmont Park is fairly safe and pretty upscale. At least a decade ago, druggies used to sleep in the park at night around the south end of the park. I wouldn't have said it was unsafe, though. I would think that with the dramatic gentrification trend, already well on its way then, the area has, if anything, gotten safer. Midtown has its own private security force.

Wrecking Bar is by far my favorite. Always something new to try and the food is ridiculous.

Max Lager's is in downtown on Peachtree. They are a brew-pub. They make an awesome Peach Berlinerweisse called Georgia Airlift. Not sure if it's in season or not. Also Burnt Hickory is in Kennesaw. BHB doesn't have food, but on Wednesday-Saturday, they offer tours.

Orpheus is within a short walk of Piedmont Park if I remember correctly. I'm in Alpharetta twice a year but have yet to venture out toward other areas. If you get North toward Alpharetta, Jeckyll Brewing is there and Hop Alley Brew Pub is in "downtown" Alpharetta.

When I lived in Atlanta in the late 90s, SweetWater was about all I knew as "local" so that doesn't help much.

As for restaurants, Taco Mac is one of my go to places when I'm in town because the food is decent and the beer selections are vast. Multiple locations in and around Atlanta Metro

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be in Alpharetta at the end of September for a week so I'll definitely try those out.

Anything near downtown Atlanta Hilton?
I'm not exactly sure where the Hilton is, but Max Lager's is probably within walking distance or a very short Uber ride. Brewpub with great beer, including GABF medalist, and pub to upscale food.

The places already mentioned in L5P and Decatur are right off the MARTA East line.

I wrote this weekend guide to Atlanta beer when Shelton Fest was here. It includes a map with all the breweries and beer bars.

Max Lager's is <1/2 mile from the Hilton, easily walkable. Wrecking Bar is my go-to if I just have one place to take my beer loving friends when they're in town. The beer and food are both excellent.

Monday Night just opened a second facility called The Garage, focusing on barrel-aged and wild beers, but they have a bit of everything on tap. It's our most impressive place to hang out, huge space with some games and plenty of seating. If you get time to make a trip over I recommend it. If you want to have the best variety of Georgia beer head to Georgia Beer Garden on Edgewood. The area can be a bit sketchy but I've never had an issue there.

Just an FYI... Red Brick is in Atlanta, Red HARE is in Marietta.

Well I did mean Red Brick. It's been a while since I've been there and had a brain fart I guess. Could have sworn it was in Marietta but you're right. I don't know that I could recommend red hare since I haven't had any wow beers from them.

Also, if you're an AHA member, you should already have the Brew Guru app on your phone. No, it doesn't provide a lot of feedback on each place, but it is absolutely one of the best apps I have used. Read Tim's guide and then use the app to see where everything is and to get AHA discounts at many of those locations, including push notifications that you're near a business offering a discount. If you're a homebrewer and not an AHA member, you should be. Regardless, you can download Brew Guru and get a 3 week trial, or still use the app for free as a non-member, just w/o the discounts.

The AHA discount, especially with the help of Brew Guru, has more than paid for my membership. No, I don't receive any compensation from the AHA - just a happy customer.

Follow up:
Atlanta has good beer and food

The wrecking bar brewpub is a must stop for all Atlanta travel. Food is awesome. Bear is great

Monday night brewing had some really good beers and an awesome location, we didn’t make it to the garage just the regular spot. Their dust bunny was great.

Max Lagers was a solid spot, minus the party of 75 high schoolers and not being able to get the same beers upstairs and down?

Taco Mac was great to try a ton of local beers and some decent bar food

I recommend Bar Taco for the interesting take on a taco restaurant (try the duck tacos, hell try them all) and a decent beer selection.

Orpheus has some interesting brews. Coffee sour? Thought I would hate it but was very unique

Back